Tuesday, December 16, 2014

New York City at Christmas

We made a quick trip to NYC last weekend.  It has ALWAYS been my dream to see all of the Christmas windows and decorations at Christmas.  This was the year to make those dreams come true.  And yes we took a 17 month old along with us.  Dutch is a pretty good kid and isn't very wild so we though he would do ok.  He did great especially considering he is a creature of habit and NYC was sooo out of his little world.  
We packed a lot into 3 days.  If it was just me and Eric there would be a lot more that I would have tried to pack in but since Dutch was with us we knew it would be a simple trip.  I made a list of what we wanted to do each day and thankfully we checked everything off and still had a lot of down time. I was going to dump it all into one post but there are too many photos for the family to see so I've got it in two posts.  We left Thursday and got to NYC around 6pm.  Dutch was a sweet little angel and slept the whole time on the plane.  


We used Jupiter car service to get us from the airport since they offer a car seat option.  It was perfect.  We stayed at the Hyatt in Times Square.  I booked the room in June and they were almost sold out.  I also booked the double queen room so we would have more space.  It was a great size for a New York hotel room.  Location was perfect, not too loud and we only rode the subway 2 times. 

 When we got to NYC the first stop was Shake Shack.  Oh yeah our favorite place ever in the world.  





Then we walked over to the Rockefeller Plaza area.  It was about 9 pm by now so it wasn't crowded at all.  




The tree.  I made it.  Dutch saw a bus, Eric ate Shake Shack and I saw the tree.  We can go home now.









This is my favorite photo from the whole trip.  Dutch didn't really feel good and it was way past bedtime.  ha. 




Saturday morning started off right.  Dutch pooped on my and also threw up on me.  After that he was a happy baby and ready to do something fun.  ;)

I had read the a line formed to get into FAO Schwartz so that was our first destination.  On the way there we walked by the storefront windows.  We didn't have to fight a crowd. 







Yea we made it to FAO Schwartz!  Dutch was so excited to see all of the stuffed animals.  I am a toy scrooge but I would have bought him every single thing in that store.  He settled on a taxi, Curious George stuffie and a NYC book.  




I just can't decide!




We found George in the big city!








Playing on the big piano



Dutch did really well in his stroller.  I bought a Quinny Zapp stroller for use in NYC.  It folded up really small for the subway and didn't take up a ton of space on the streets.  The only negative is that the stroller doesn't recline but Dutch took many naps in it anyway.  When he didn't want to ride we took turns carrying him.


After FAO Schwartz we headed to Serendipity for lunch.  It was delicious as always, but kind of your worst nightmare if you have a toddler.  So little room and so many things to break.  Dutch was really good for the most part.


After lunch we headed to The Plaza Hotel to see Santa.  There was no line and he was really sweet.  I loved seeing all of the little girls dressed up and going to Eloise's tea room.




Trying to let Dutch run around in Central Park


Since we got such an early start we were finished with our list by 2:00!  We headed back to the hotel and everyone took a really long nap.

After Dutch woke up we decided to blow his mind and take him to the M&M store.  Mission accomplished.


We did a little shopping then it was back to the hotel for bed.



Poor wind chapped baby.  It was cold in NYC 30's but not as cold as I was trying to prepare myself for.  I would have loved snow but was happy that there was no chance of snow or rain in the forecast since that meant less shoes and clothes we had to travel with.  I packed us only 4 outfits each and figured if something got messed up we could just buy more clothes ;).  I did have to buy a new pair of pjs.  I was able to wear cords and keep my legs warm.  Eric and I both wore button ups and a sweater with a jacket.  We were plenty warm.  I wasn't sure what to do about shoes.  Thankfully I didn't have to take a waterproof option.  I ended up taking a pair of booties that I never wear at home.  Last time we went to New York I got about 3 years worth of wear on my shoes in just a few days so I didn't want to take a fav pair of shoes and them get worn out. I also bought a pair of boots to take in case my feet hurt with the booties, I hated them and only wore them on our travel days to save space in the suitcase.  My feet never hurt and we walked about 22 miles the whole trip!   Dutch wore a pair of leggings under his clothes and this heavy jacket with a hood (he refuses to wear a hat).  He wore 2 pair of socks and these Gap boots, we also put a blanket over him in the stroller.  His skin was always warm when we got back to the hotel.  A lot of people had the rain cover on their stroller to keep the wind out and that was pretty smart.

Ok that is a wrap on the first couple days of our trip.  Thanks for reading along and putting up with a ridiculous amount of family photos and info.  I have a terrible memory now so it is helpful to read back on travel posts so I know what worked for us.  One thing that we wished we had was a selfie stick.  Yep we made fun of the people that had them and then we saw them in a store and laughed.  Guess who is laughing at all of our terrible family photos now.

2 comments:

emily said...

There's nothing more magical than NYC at Christmastime! I love that y'all took Dutch too. What great memories.

Kat Hertzler said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun! Don't think I'd have the energy to take my guys...someday, perhaps. (I need you to plan our trip! I stink at that stuff.) Did you get random people to take your pictures??

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011