Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Exterior Updates

So back in the spring I mentioned some updates I wanted to make to the exterior of our house.  As you can see our black shutters were faded so they needed to be spruced up.  I wanted to go with a blackish brown with a little bit of green undertone.







I decided on Sealskin by Sherwin Williams.  The shutters are plastic (ugh) so the sales man at SW recommended their Super Paint.  It did not require a primer and so far so good.  The shutters were removed, I cleaned them really well and let them dry for a few days.  Instead of painting them by hand, Eric sprayed them and we let them cure for a few days before putting them back up.

For the door I really wanted to go with a green.  I tired several colors out and ended up going with the top one in the photo below, Valspar Willow Leaf.  It really is a pretty color, similar to the boxwood planters on the porch. Before I painted the door I decided to scrape off a little tiny part of paint that was peeling.  Well you can guess what happened, you don't ever just peel a tiny bit of paint.  That front door was then stripped and right in the middle of that I gave up.  Eric took the door down to pressure wash the rest of the paint off.  We then sanded and it is good enough- we'll just call it character!  When people asked how my weekend was I told them I spent the whole thing wrestling with a 64 year old bitch.  Ok not really - I don't really say those kind of things but people it was terrible.



Paint goes on the door- oh and it was the paint that Dutch spilled all over the dining room and living room and it is too close to the brick undertone.  Boo hoo because I love the color and it looked so good with the boxwood planters.  I ended up getting Eddie Bauer's Laurel Leaf.  But they mixed it in HIGH gloss and well no 64 year old biddy looks good all glossied up showing her imperfections.
Sooo I had to go back and buy yet another can of paint.  

FINISHED!  It has taken me a while to get use to the new paint colors.  Honestly the shutters turned out a little to light.  We didn't prime them but I think if we had started with a white background the color would have been more saturated.  The door was a little too something for me, still not sure what and it isn't the best with my planters but for now the shutters and door are staying as is!


This photo below is a little more true to the door color.  Not as Kermit as the other photos suggest.





My poor boxwoods.  Fingers crossed they grow back.  We aren't really sure what happened to them.  Any suggestions?  A freezing winter?

Also did you notice we cut down the confederate jasmine?  I know!  I've talked about those vines for 5 years and then I chop them off.  There wasn't enough contrast in all of the green and it was sort of suffocating.







See what I mean?!  We still need to repaint the columns after taking the jasmine down.  Hoping that will get done sometime this fall.

7 comments:

Deborah said...

I love the columns without the jasmine vines! Great call!

Deborah said...

I love the columns without the jasmine vines! Great call!

Kat Hertzler said...

Looks good! Your house is so cute. And I love the 64 yr old B comment! Ha;) The green door is a refreshing color...not too crazy at all. Nice update all around, girl!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

It looks great! What a difference!

Diana @ wonderfully made. said...

the house looks great! I love the door color and the shutter color!

Jonella said...

I love the green door. Whenever we are down in Auburn for a game or to visit son in college I'm always looking for the house that looks like yours. I promise I'm not a stalker though! :)

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

I love it!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011