Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Easter Basket

One of my friends use to have a little business of painting Easter baskets.  I was so excited when I knew that I would be able to get one of her baskets for Dutch's first Easter.  Well she was having trouble getting the blank baskets this year and I was getting impatient so I decided to try to paint my own for Dutch.

Like my friend I had trouble finding the right basket.  After searching for a few weeks of searching I found one online.  I was able to order a sample so I only had to buy one, not a bulk order.  I think it was around $12 with shipping.  I was about to use a bushel basket but thought they may be too deep so this 6"x13" was perfect.

Anyway I sketched out several different ideas for painting the basket.  I wanted his name on one side but didn't just want it written on there like the ones I had seen online.  I thought about painting bunting with his name but the letters would have to be too small.  So I thought of the egg idea and I love it.








Honestly I struggle with the secular part of religious holidays.   I want Jesus to be the focus for Christmas and Easter not Santa and a bunny.  But Jesus is the main focus of our lives everyday and Santa and the Easter Bunny only come around a couple of times a year.  I don't know we are still working on what is best for our family.  Anyway with all of that said for the back I did a cross design.  I did see it on another basket from a company that is no longer in business so I can't link it here.  I'm not totally happy with it so I may tweek the crosses a bit.







As far as the inside just a few practical things for right now.  The Story of EasterBath MirrorFlashcardsPuffs.  I'll probably throw in some diapers and wipes (ha!) and a sippy cup.  We are still trying to find one he really likes so if you have any suggestions please let me know!


2 comments:

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Aw, so sweet Vanessa! You did a great job on the basket :)

Jeanine said...

What a beautiful basket! Just some thoughts from an older Mom about Santa and the Easter Bunny: The truth about Christmas and Easter and what God has done for us through Jesus is enough. Remember that if you start lying now (and I know that everyone does it) you have to keep up the lie and add to it as your child get older and wiser until finally he's too old and someone else has probably told him the truth. Then what? What seemed like the most fun part of Christmas/Easter has been exposed as a lie. If he's like me, Christmas never seems the same after that. Plus, think of what most people teach their children re: Santa/bunny. If you're good, you'll get gifts. It's the exact opposite of the gospel, which teaches that the best gift (of salvation) is free. Christ did it all for us, and He is enough! (Satan will always tell us otherwise).
With my children, we just told them the truth about Santa, but also told them about the original Saint Nicholas. We also left some surprises under the tree on Christmas Eve, which they knew were from Dad/"Santa". We also always gave them an Easter basket, but didn't bother with the Easter bunny. He's just too freaky! Now, we give the basket on Saturday, so that we can focus on Christ and church and family on Easter.


























 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011