Tuesday, September 17, 2013

New Coffee Table

A few months ago I had a piece of carpet bound as an area rug for our living room.  We had to take the coffee table out of the room to lay the carpet down (obvs) and noticed how much bigger the room felt without the coffee table.  Since then I've been on the lookout for something smaller than our 36" table.


The coffee table that I really want is the World Market Campaign coffee table.  This is the matching desk.  It would be the perfect coffee table except they don't make it anymore and it may actually be too deep.    I'm wondering if I could cut down the legs on the desk and make it work.


I'm also thinking about a table along these lines.  It doesn't have a drawer but does have a bottom shelf that I could house some of my junks on.  Plus it is pretty cheap.


Anyway while I am trying to decide I found this little gem at goodwill.  It is in pretty craptastic shape but for $12 it will do for now.  The marble top is cracked to all get out and it is stained but I'm doing some experiments to clean it up.


Eric ripped out that chippy wood out and I cleaned the top.  The photo below shows how the table top looked when we brought it home.  Trust me, so much worse than it looks in the photo below.  I think the table has been living outside because there was black grimy in the cracks and pits.



To clean the top I used a mixture of ammonia, water and baking soda.  I made a paste and covered with plastic wrap.  I let it sit for a couple of days until I had a chance to work on it again.  I was able to get all the black grimy out with a toothbrush and most of the lighter stains came out.  I read where someone sanded a piece of marble to get deeper into the stains.  I'm not sure if I'm invested that much in the table.  I still need to go around the edges with some Rub n' Buff and do something about the legs, but for $12 we are enjoying the extra space.


Still playing around with the top.  I need some more attractive coasters if they are going to be out all of the time and maybe a bowl for remotes and Dutch's passy that lives in the living room.  Any suggestions?

p.s. for a $12 table that ammonia mixture was fine.  The marble is honed so it didn't ruin the finish but it does look like it is scratched.  Anyway don't try this on your marble countertops!

9 comments:

Hannah Dixon said...

I would love to know what you plan to do with your old coffee table! It would look great in my living room! ;)

emily said...

Great find! I'm loving the rug and your couch!

Emily said...

Another blog I follow just posted a tutorial of restoring and painting an end table with the same decorative brass edging! I wish I could find it! Beautiful table, and I hope you can restore the top of it to your liking!

amanda | wildly simple said...

I think it looks GREAT!
Love Goodwill finds. :)

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Great find, I see potential I knew you will work your magic on it

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I think that table can become something wonderful. Great find!

Jessica Brown said...

looks great!

Lets just build a house! said...

i love this post, we are coffee table shopping too. hopefully i can find a deal like yours so i dont have to fork out the big bucks!

Kat said...

Ha! Didn't know it was all cracked;) It's okay though. My bed-side table (marble topped) is cracked too. I still love it. Glad you splurged! It does look much more roomy in there. And plus with little D soon crawling/running around, it's nice to have something that's rounded. You def don't want those tacky rubber corners on the ends of your table, campaign or not. Looks good. One day I will have a hide rug in my house. One day.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011