Monday, June 3, 2013

Dutch's Quilt

Look what I finished a few weeks ago!




Dutch's very own quilt!


I am so happy to have this finished before he is born and so lucky to be able to make a quilt for MY baby! 

As I mentioned in the last quilt post I used the tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew for this design.  I pretty much cut a million squares, drew a diagonal line down the center and sewed on either side of the line.  After that I squared them up on the 4 1/2" center square of my quilt square. 


After that Eric cut the big squares into 2 smaller squares.


After that I ironed all of them open and we laid them out.  This was pretty hard so I was glad to have Eric's help. 


All sewn together!


I didn't feel like quilting this quilt.  The points didn't turn out perfect so it would have been a lot of trouble for me to quilt.  I wanted more of a random meandering stitch anyway.  I can do this on my machine but I've never tried so I decided to have someone else quilt for me.  I felt really bad about this but I really don't think Dutch will mind ;)  I searched online for a few places that offer this service and found the lowest price at AuntBoo's Quilting.  For my quilting, batting, and shipping back to me it was only $47, well worth it.  They did a great job and I would use them again.

Next up was the binding.  I really hate to make binding so I found some on etsy I was going to buy but then I talked myself out of it.  I ended up just using the extra backing material for the binding.  The quilt backing and binding were from the sheet set that I made Dutch's crib sheet out of.  That $30 sheet set my mom bought has stretched pretty far - Dutch's quilt, crib sheet, Claire's blanket and our quilt.

Usually by the time I get to the binding, I am over the quilt and just want to finish.  As a result I machine bind and it usually looks terrible.  This time I decided to hand bind.  It took about 4 nights but was worth the trouble and looks great.


Next my favorite part, washing the quilt.  I washed it one night and put it in the dryer before bed so that the next  morning when I woke up the quilt would be a ball of wrinkledy awesomeness.  Before it was washed:



After washing it was all crinkly and soft.

This was taken last week -Claire negotinating for the quilt and for remaining the only baby in the house.


Sorry that all of my posts lately, which only average 1x a week, are about sewing or the baby.  Really that is about all that is going on around here.  The nursery is finished so maybe I'll get some pictures of it this week and I still need to post about our bathroom update from almost 2 years ago.  Anyway thanks for stopping by and your always encouraging words!

3 comments:

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Vanessa that quilt is BEAUTIFUL!! Dutch is one lucky little guy to have you and Eric for parents...you guys are awesome :)

Of course, the baby and getting ready are all that is on your mind lately...as it should be!

Won't be long now...

Amanda said...

Beautiful quilt! Great picture of you and Claire on the quilt at the end too - so sweet.

I think it's lovely that you took the time to make your little Dutch a quilt - that is something that will be very cherished as he gets older and maybe even uses it with his family someday. The quilt my parents used on my bed when I was little was handmade by my great grandmother from when my grandmother was born. It may have been frayed at the edges and a little worn out in spots, but it also saw a lot of lovin' over the years. These are the heirlooms that get loved and passed on.

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

The quilt is beautiful! And I love that your husband helped out :)

I've enjoyed your posts about baby and sewing... don't stop!

Looking forward to seeing that little guy for real... well in pictures that is.

~Chris

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011