Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Vacation 2013

Eric and I went on a little vacation last weekend.  This vacation was a lot different from the ones we've taken the past few years.  It involved no airplane and no walking.  Even though we've been to the beach a million times, this time just the two of us went.  A first for us.
Of course on the last day the sun was shining like crazy.  We went out at 7am to catch a few rays before check out.  I am just now starting to learn about childbirth so listening to the waves and trying to compare them to a contraction was important to me.  Kind of weird, but the analogy helps me.  I haven't mentioned my desire to have a med-free birth to many people because they start to act like you are dogging them for having an epidural or just crazy but I'm going to TRY med free.  If anyone out there has been successful and has some tips please pass them along!  And yes this book was sort of weird and scary.


Saturday morning we mostly stayed inside waiting for the rain to stop and I wrote thank you notes.  We decided to catch the matinee of The Great Gatsby since the weather was pretty yuck.  Oh people I've been waiting for this movie since 2010 and it was my #1 thing to do before I had the baby.  I read the book every year and it was amazing how closely the movie followed the book.  After the movie we ate lunch and I may have had the best sweet tea of my life.  We hurried home to catch a little sun while it was out and the clouds came back.  It was cold but we sat on the beach wrapped in towels dang it. 


When you go on vacation alone there are a lot of self portraits.



On this trip I wanted so badly to eat at Another Broken Egg and Dusty's, get a tan, and swim in the ocean with my baby.  Well only the first 2 were accomplished.  I came back pale and the ocean was so extremely cold.  But Dusty's fried shrimp was so delicious and I smiled the whole time eating my southwest scramble from ABE.  Oh and they gave me a chocolate covered strawberry for Mother's Day!
I also wanted a pregnant silhouette picture.  The second we stepped on the beach the sun went behind solid clouds.  Oh well we are just blessed to be able to go to the beach!


8 comments:

Red Gate Farm said...

Sounds like my kind of vacation! Well minus the cold(ish) weather and the pregnant part ;)

Good luck (sincerely, not sarcastically) with the med free idea! That's how my husband and I approached the whole thing (many years ago)with the option for me to change my mind at any point... unfortunately I was sick with the flu when my daughter was born and they gave me Demerol to relax since I had a fever but no epidural or anything else. My son was super quick (under one hour) and so I had nothing and it worked out just fine!

~Chris

Kat said...

I SO need this right now--a kid-free vacay:) Look at you sportin' the bikini! Man, you look great. No stretch marks, I take it? I'm lovin' the white sand and clear water...that's not an option at the Jersey shore:/

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

Good for you!!! With Mollie Kate, I wasn't able to have an epidural until about 8 hours after my water broke - MK was face up and they wanted her to turn on her own and were afraid the epidural would slow things down. It was TOUGH but I only had the epidural for about an hour before she was born. If I had it to do all over again, I would have done it without the epidural! Best of luck to you! :)

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Beautiful pictures of you on the beach! Glad you had a good time in spite of the weather.

Saw Gatsby on Mother's Day evening with two of my kids....we liked it a lot! Loved the costumes and of course Leo was great :)

As for natural med-free childbirth...YES I have done it. Back in the day (1983), I went to Jane Fonda aerobic workouts all the time, even while pregnant with my oldest and natural childbirth was being done by everyone...you were kind of looked down on if you thought about taking meds. I had a pretty easy labor and birth...4 hours of painful labor (the couple of hours before that were not very painful) and literally 2 pushes and out she came. I think the secret to success is to let the baby come when the baby is ready. Don't let them "schedule" your delivery or induce your labor (unless it's for medical reasons). My daughter was 9 days late...unheard of these days because the doctors are quick to induce. But back then they didn't do that and I'm so glad. She came out when she was ready! Sorry for the wordy answer, but I really want to encourage you to know that it can be done. BUT every labor and birth is different, so you should not feel one bit bad about taking medication for some relief if you need to. It does not hurt the baby.

You will be great I just know it...tough southern gal!

xo
Karen

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

awh glad you guys got away just the two of you before baby comes

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

You look amazing! And what a fun getaway.

I hope you get exactly what you want out of childbirth. I really wanted to try to go med-free, too. And I sort of got the same reaction from folks thinking I was crazy. In the end, it didn't happen the way I wanted because of complications, but I'm still happy I did the research but had to be flexible to get that baby out healthy as can be.

Hugs!

Regina said...

that picture of you on the beach with the sun behind the clouds is gorgeous...just the way God intended honey! good luck with the med free labor...i did it for 23 hours, it takes a lot of concentration and support which i'm sure your husband will give you...IT IS DOABLE AND DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS! lol
God Bless you all! :)

Amanda said...

I realize this post is a few weeks old, but I had a drug-free birth and would highly recommend it! My number one biggest advice would be to hire a doula - you can find a certified one at dona.org. We're so not "hippy" or "crunchy" but we still think our doula was worth every penny. Feel free to read my birth story on my blog if you'd like! http://homemadeintheheartland.blogspot.com/2012/03/40-week-update-and-birth-story.html

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011