Friday, April 19, 2013

The 17 Year Evolution Of A Swimsuit

Ok here is a really good story for a week that hasn't really had many good stories.

Back in 1996 I was at the beach with my family.  Staying at the same condo was Eric and his family & friends.  Since they were from the town right next to ours we knew some of the kids and would hang out during the day on the beach.  There was a guy in that group that had a green polka dot swimsuit and I have always remembered that suit because it is super cute. 


Ok so fast forward 6 years later when Eric and I started to date I told him that I thought I had seen him before and I thought he was wearing a polka dot swimsuit.  Sure enough it was him and he for some reason (divine intervention?) he still had the swimsuit.  I got the swim suit from him and have kept it for 9 years waiting for the perfect project.  Almost 17 years to the date of seeing him in that suit we are having a baby and I used that fabric to make something special for the little guy.



His first stuffed animal-a little deer!  Isn't he so cute!  It also happens to be the first thing that I have had his name put on.  Which is really crazy because in the south we monogram everything!  Having a piece of that swimsuit is really random but I think it will be a fun story for our family to have. 

This little guy was super simple to make, I bought the pattern from Dolls and Daydreams on etsy.  She has the cutest patterns and very good instructions, I'm sure I'll be buying more. 
The only thing I did change from the directions is I went ahead and sewed the arms, legs, ears, and antlers to the body piece before I sewed the front and back together.  I knew I would mess up somewhere if they were just pinned on.  I also put stuffing in my antlers because I didn't use felt so they were a little floppy, you could also use a heavy duty interfacing if you didn't want to use felt. 

So there you have it a good story for the week.  Oh and we get asked a lot why did we not know each other or date if we knew a lot of the same people growing up.  Well the answer is Eric is 6 years older than me.  I always knew his younger brother, but since Eric graduated high school when I was in 6th grade (ha!) I didn't know he existed. 

If you are Christie that left a comment in the last post about the fabric remnant please email me.  Your email isn't attached to your comment so I don't have a way of getting you the info. Thanks!

4 comments:

Susan Canaan said...

He is so cute! What a precious story to tell Dutch one day. Have a great weekend!!

Angie said...

That is such a sweet story! Thank you for sharing.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

How awesome is this? What a wonderful story and a wonderful reminder of it every time you look at the sweet stuffed animal.

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

That's an awesome story! Funny that you didn't know he existed due to the age difference but you remembered that green polka dot swimsuit! Cool story! (and definitely some Divine planning)

Love the cute little deer...too sweet! And love the name Dutch :)

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011