Monday, April 15, 2013

DIY Roman Shades

Last week I had a chance to sew the roman shades for the baby's room.  At first I wasn't going to tackle this project.  Anything more involved that sewing curtain panels seemed too much for me.  I had found someone that would make the 2 blackout shades for $230 which I thought was a good deal but add shipping and fabric and it came out to around $300.  If it were my living room I would have paid it but with it the shades being in a room that will probably be changed out in a couple of years my inner cheapie got to me and I just couldn't do it.
My fabric is Braemore Spice Market Ikat Putty, love it!

So for the most simple approach I thought about covering a blackout roll down shade with fabric.  But I thought that the room needed more texture and dimension that a flat roller shade so that was out.  I could have added panels with the roller shade but I didn't want to go there and besides the headers on those blackout ones are ugly. 

Thankfully Jenny at Little Green Notebook posted an updated tutorial to her DIY roman shades from miniblinds tutorial right when I needed it.  This project was so simple.  I didn't even make a mistake!

I did do a few things differently that the tutorial.  First of all I used blackout lining instead of regular lining.  It isn't that big of a deal but it was my first time to sew with blackout lining.  Because of the vinyl side of the lining I didn't have to worry about the fabric glue bleeding through to the front of the shade.  The bleed through seemed like a pretty big deal to me so I would be extra careful on that if you didn't use blackout lining.  Next I wanted to make sure that the wood bar was really secure so I stapled it instead of just gluing. 

I sewed around 3 sides of the shade and left the bottom open so that I could staple the lining to the wood piece.  Taping the wood helped to hold it in place when I flipped it over to staple on the inside of the fabric.



Inside of the panel.




Make sense?  I wish that I had painted the piece of wood white, I may still go back and do that.

In the tutorial she didn't say what kind of fabric glue she used but I zoomed in and saw that it was Beacon, so I used the same brand.  I couldn't find it at Hobby Lobby, only Walmart.


I made my spacing for my folds 11", just because it worked out that was the even amount of space that I had to work with.  I sewed 3 rows of rings plus the wood slat on each shade.

And here is how they turned out!  I think they look great and you can't tell that I cheated and used a blind as my base.  I do have to flatten my folds when I pull them up but I think that is due to the thickness of the blackout lining. The room isn't quiet this bright with sun (I bumped up my exposure in my camera) but it does get morning sun.  The wall color - Benjamin Moore Smokestack Gray is pretty accurate in the photo below. 

Oh and that white posterboard template on the floor in the corner, still trying to decide on a chair.  As you can see we don't have much space to work with.  The cute barn was Eric's when he was a kid and he has been fixing it up for Dutch!  The books are overflow from his alread full book case.


When the shades are down it does make it darker (still high camera exposure), but not totally blacked out.  I could have made the shades wider but didn't really want to cover the window trim.  If sleeping is a problem we may try some panels also but are kids that picky?! 
 
I spent about $60 on fabric, $10 on the vinyl blinds, $5 on blackout lining, and $10 on the wood strip, plastic rings, glue, and clear thread. $85 total, not too bad for two roman shades.
I do have some remnant of the fabric see "illustration" below.  If you are interested let me know I will sell it cheap!  You could get some good pillows out of it.


Last week I also sewed a crib sheet so I will post more about that soon.  We are getting close just need to decide on a chair and hang some things on the walls!

19 comments:

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Dutch is one lucky baby! His room is adorable and that barn is so sweet! I'm not one bit surprised that you made such cute roman blinds...you are very talented with that kind of stuff.

Red Gate Farm said...

Great job on the shades! I was going to make roman shades once but chickened out! Your nursery is really coming together :)

And I don't think the little bit of light will matter much... my kids slept without shades or curtains pulled during the day!

~Chris

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

These turned out so well. I have been wanting to try that tutorial. Love how yours turned out. And the fabric is fabulous. I don't think you'll have any trouble with the light. I always recommend blackout to my momma friends but even with full panels, some light peeks through the edges.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

They look amazing. Great work!!

Christie said...

The shades look great!

I might be interested in your remaining fabric. About how much do you have left?

vanessa said...

Thanks yall!
@Christie - please email me so I can get you the measurement.

Roxie Tenner said...

If you want the whole room in total darkness, make a roman shade at least an inch longer than what you just made. By the way, good fabric choice! It's very subtle and it can work with whatever part of the house (if ever you decided to move it). Thank you for posting measurements as well! Some tutorials don't include measurements that make the tutorial complicated. Roxie Tenner

Becca Blossoms said...

blinds dallas staff of experts will custom measure your windows for your home or business, discuss all possible options for window coverings and we can show you an extensive selection of colors and styles to suit your needs. Selecting the perfect window covering can also help in making your home or business to be more energy efficient.

Sofia Karten said...

motorized shades window treatments are a significant upgrade, taking you one step closer to creating an energy-efficient Smart home. This is not science fiction; the concept is fast becoming a reality. Many of our products allow you to use third party systems in an effort to streamline the control of your motorized window treatments, thus, integrating such components as security systems, lighting, home entertainment, as well as climate control, all with one device.

LauraLou said...

I love these roman blinds - they're so easy to create and can change the look of the room instantly!

Rene Veeravalli said...

Though you said that sewing curtain panels are too much for you, this project went perfectly enough for its main purpose. Thank you for the tutorial, by the way. This made making your own roman shades a lot easier and cheaper at that. You see, this is one great thing about DIY projects -- you can save a lot of money and can incorporate your creativity and personal touch on stuffs like this around the house.
Rene @ Beltway Blinds

Chris Henry said...

Online Blinds UK Ltd has massive experience of window blinds and Internet selling and marketing business. These blinds are built on quality, designing, speed of delivery and above all competitive pricing.
By:
http://www.onlineblindsukltd.co.uk/blinds/wooden-venetian-blinds/wooden-venetian-blinds

Greg Arnett said...

Good job! I love your handy work on the shades. I also love your post since you gave a really clear and handy tutorial that everyone can follow in order to make their very own roman shades. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Greg Arnett

Avery Schlacter said...

Thanks for sharing this with me. I've been thinking about getting motorized blinds. I think they would look great in my home. http://www.parkcityblind.com

james thomos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kurt said...

I had found someone that would make the 2 blackout shades for $230 ... bblackoutblinds.blogspot.com

Red Wood Creations said...

Among those posts I've seen, this is the most particular one, and I think the blogger must have spent lots of time on it, thank you so much!

windows blinds suppliers in india

Englander Line said...

The stunningly beautiful prints, colours and the fabric material of one such sheer roller blinds that I bought online from a designer home furnishing store in London was of premium quality and that made the difference to the overall aesthetics and ergonomics of my kitchen area which now represents a much more refined, soothing and refreshing look through this beautiful custom Roman blind.

Shutters said...

Looks pretty. Your choice for selecting the shade is amazing.
window shade houston
houston shutters

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011