Thursday, March 7, 2013

Skirted Table

The winter blahs.  I have them.  It rained over 13" in February and today it is only in the 50's, I'm ready for summer!  When I get in blah moods usually my house is in major critique mode.  Everything is uglier in the winter. 

To help solve that problem last weekend I spent a lot of time at my sewing machine working on some updates to make it feel happier up in here.  I made Dutch's crib skirt, got most of his quilt pieced, made a new pillow for our bed, turned king pillow shams into queens, and made some new living room pillows.  I'm ready to knock down some walls but that isn't happening anytime soon.  Fabric is cheaper and me chained to a sewing machine ='s free labor.

Starting in the living room - I really want new curtains, I've had these for over 3 years which is a  really long time at my house. whine. I just don't want to make them or pay to have them made so I've made my peace and they are staying around.  One thing that is getting the ax is this little typewriter table. 




I bought it when we moved in 2009 and have enjoyed it.  I'm just looking for ways to have more hidden storage in the house and was wanting somewhere to stash kid books, toys, diapers etc.  I am sure they will start to take over my house soon.  I was going to have a piece of wood attached to the top of the typewriter table to make a little more surface space and then a slipcover made to cover the wood top and mess under the table.  Then I got to thinking and didn't want to spend the $135 on the slipcover when I've got other things to be buying right now.  While making my rounds at the thrift store last week I came upon this little jewel.


I know you wish you had a press board microwave card.  But look 2 shelves of storage and a little drawer plus I knew that I could easily staple fabric to it so I wouldn't have to have a slipcover made! 
There are tons of tutorials on skirted tables but the tutorial from Pawleys Island Posh seemed to work best for me.  I ordered 2 yards of Magnolia Home Fashions Belle Isle Stripe Pewter and was all set.  Oh and the reason my fabric looks nothing like the one on the website is I used the back side since it was a little more subtle. 

In the tutorial she didn't cover the top of her bookcases but I needed to cover the top.  I just stapled the fabric to the top first and then stapled the front and sides. 



I tried to use hem tape instead of sewing but of course it didn't work, it never does.  Besides the sewing machine is quicker- always go with your first love. 
After attaching the fabric around the top I stapled on the sides then front.  Y'all look at those professionally surged edges!


There were little gaps where the sides and front were stapled in the corners.  I did a few hidden stitches with a needle and thread and fixed those. 



The side strips were up next to fill in the flap gap.  First I made them too narrow, they were just too small and you could still see inside to the shelves.  I cut some new ones the width of the neutral stripe and they worked much better. I didn't want to tack them to the fabric pieces because I want the front panel to be able to be easily opened.  I did end up putting a few tack stitches on the side panels.  Looks fine to me.
p.s. if you want a no sew no side flap table this is a good tutorial

Add a piece of glass and call it finished, except now I think I need a new lamp. Locals- I always us J & W Glass Co. for my cut glass and mirrors.  They are quick and always about 1/2 of what the others charge. 



Total cost
Fabric $15.26 (I had a 15% off coupon)
Glass $13.04
Table $12.98
TOTAL $43.98.  Yes!  I saved $91.02 and got extra storage. 

Since the curtains are made of the same fabric as my sofa pillows I couldn't get rid of them since the curtains are the only fabric on that side of the room so I just added another set of pillows using a smaller stripe.  I must brag that I used my serger and they are so professional looking!  I would have loved to upgrade to bigger inserts but I had 2 down inserts in the closet taking up precious space.  Free pillows and more closet space ='s good enough.  


I am still planning on adding a nylon sisal look alike rug under the cowhide in a few weeks.  We are installing the carpet in a client's home so I am waiting to see if I like that color before I order.  After that this little refresh should be closing up.  Well I would love some new art above the sofa but I haven't found it yet and I have a feeling the coffee table is either going to go away or being replaced with a smaller one next year when the baby gets moving.  Baby proofing this house should be fun.

Yeah that cabinet has about 2x as many shiny glass things in it now!

4 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

It looks great. And I love the stripes. So sharp!!

Kat said...

Look at you! It looks really great, Vanessa. Ry and B have those striped Ikea pillows too:) I'm dying to see more of your house. Hook us up!

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Vanessa your table skirt looks fantastic! It really ties in with your pillows and looks great. You are so good at these types of projects. And it sounds like you got so much sewing done. Good for you!

I hear ya on the winter blahs...it's cold gray and rainy here today and I'm so over it. Unlike you (getting tons done), I tend to do nothing when the blahs hit. But you're smart..doing something productive usually take away those nasty blahs.

Stephanie De Groot said...

Check even deze geweldige Stoel ridge rib

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011