Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pressed Leaves

One Saturday morning during the summer Eric and I were running and happened upon an estate sale.  Of course we had to go in even though we had no money with us.  I found a few things that I couldn't live without, a big green jug being one of them. 




Eric being the good man that he is ran home (literally!) and got some cash and the big green jug was mine.  Fast forward a few months and that big green jug that I had to have was sitting in the dining room floor with all of the other vases and jugs I have had to have.  Country Living comes in the mail and shazam there is my big green jug's big brother.



I knew I could make this leaf wall happen pretty easily once the leaves started to turn.  So off we went last Saturday on another walk and I collected leaves.  When I got home I glued them to index cards and went to the football game.  The next morning I took a peak and most looked good but a few looked like this.


Boo hoo.  All of that long story to ask does anyone have any suggestions when trying to glue leaves to cards, I think the more technical term is pressed leaves? 

p.s. I hope y'all are doing good.  I haven't blogged much these past few months because I'm feeling a little uninspired and not really creative.  I also havent' been the best blog reader or commenter lately.  Maybe that will change wtih the holidays coming up.  Which speaking of I know time passes so fast and blah blah blah but seriously I don't understand how last week it was November 5th and next week is Thanksgiving?  It is really messing with me.  ha. 

6 comments:

Laura@happyroost said...

When I was younger my mom used to use wax paper and the iron. Just lay the leaves in the paper and press it really good with the paper. The wax will heat up and melt and keep the leaves in place. With this project, I would lay the leaf (good side down) on the ironing board, put a piece of wax paper over it, iron it really well and then glue the wax paper to the card using a glue stick. Good luck!

Laura
www.HappyroostBlog.com

Malia said...

I was thinking contact paper but then it leave it looking a little shiny. I did a quick google search and found this http://www.ehow.com/how_4495695_preserve-frame-colorful-autumn-leaves.html they mention the wax paper trick as well as having it sit in glycerin... so that might be the trick. Too bad all my leaves up north have turned and are pretty much gone now, I'll have to remember this for next year.

Deborah said...

Wax paper + heavy books = pressed leaves :-)

alanna rose said...

Growing up in Michigan we did pressed leave projects every year in school. The key is pressing them first, then crafting. You have to dry the leaves between layers of paper towel stuck in a big book (we always used the big dictionary). It takes some time, but then you can glue the leaves down and they'll look good for a long time (and be flat).

You can also wax the leaves by dipping them into hot paraffin wax, but they aren't super flat that way.

I've been awful at blogging/reading/commenting lately too...

Karen said...

Vanessa I am no help when it comes to pressing leaves, but it looks like a great idea...love the green jug.

Sorry about your Tigers this year...big bummer. And yes Thanksgiving has really snuck up on us this year. I sold my house and am in the middle of moving so my daughter is hosting for the first time this year. (started a blog about my move www.home-sweet-hollywood.blogspot.com)

Really looking forward to the holidays! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Loribeth said...

You need to put the leaves in between the pages of a book. I have leaves in my bible that I picked up when I was child, and they look exactly as they did on the day I found them.

You can also put them between two pieces of waxed paper and lightly iron them. The wax paper will stick together, then once it cools, trim it to the size you need.

BTW, love your green jug!!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011