Tuesday, October 2, 2012

German Chocolate-Pecan Pie Bars

Did y'all get the September Southern Living.  So many amazing recipes to try from that issue.  I needed to make a dessert for tailgating a couple of weeks ago and was going to make the Caramel Apple-Brownie Cheesecake but then I decided to make something without dairy for Eric to be able to eat and something that I don't like so I wouldn't eat it. ha.  The German Chocolate-Pecan Pie Bars won out.  One little problem, I usually don't like pecan pie but thought these were amazing.  Try them, you will love them too!

What you need:
3 cups pecan halves & pieces
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut

1) Preheat oven to 350*.  Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.

2) Line bottom and sides of a 13x9" pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2"-3"  to extend over sides.  Lightly grease foil.

3) Pulse flour and next 3 ingredients in a food processor 5 to 6 times or until mixture resembles course meal.  (I don't have a food processor so I used my blender, and it took a lot more than 6 pulses to get right consistency.  When I had it as good as it was going to get I took it out of the blender and mixed a little better with my hands)  Press mixture on bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of foil lined pan.

4)  Bake crust at 350* for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven, and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust.  Cool completely on a wire rack (don't remove from pan) about 30 minutes.

5) Whisk together brown sugar and next 3 ingredients until smooth.  Stir in coconut and toasted pecans.  Spoon into prepared crust.

6)  Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until golden and set.  (I could never get mine to set so I lowered my oven temp to 325* after 30 minutes)  Cool completely on a wire rack for about an hour.  Chill 1 hour.  Lift baked bars from pan using foil sides as handles.  Transfer to a cutting board; cut into bars.  

7) Try not to eat the whole pan before you take it to tailgate.  Seriously I loved these and I'm not a pecan pie person.  They taste even better cold so I left ours in the fridge.  Makes about 2 dozen.

Recipe: Southern Living September 2012

 

2 comments:

Red Gate Farm said...

Maybe I should try this... I don't like Pecan Pie or German Chocolate anything! Then again, the Pecan Bars from the Barefoot Contessa are something I can't stay away from... even though I don't like Pecan Pie :(

~Chris

Jim Kikon said...

Looks delicious there... :P

Regards,
jim
http://nokik.blogspot.com

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011