Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Fall Is Coming: Squirrels & Beaches

Yesterday morning when I stepped outside to go to work I had to turn back around and grab my jean jacket because it was just a tad too cold for sleeveless. Ok I just checked and it was 66* in the morning and 85* at supper time-not cold but we are reaching for straws here. Since it was so cold we decided to make chili.  While I was cooking this squirrel hoped in the window and scared me.  He just sat there with his 3 pack of pecans.  

Then he started to eat them.  He took the green shells off super fast, it was neat to watch.  If I had opened the window I think I could have gotten him inside.  That is until Claire got a whiff of our new pet.  I love our pecan trees but hate the mess the squirrels make with all of the shells.  This time I let it slide.


With the chili and pecans all over the ground I guess fall really is coming.  To close out summer I made it to the beach one last time over the weekend for our 2nd Annual Beach Trip. 
We have a friend that grew up going to the beaches in North Carolina and for the past 2 years we have been trying to show her that the Gulf has some of the most beautiful soft white sand and crystal blue water in the world. Last year we went during a tropical storm and this year the water was super clean but dark because the remnants of Hurricane Issac were back in the gulf trying to stir up trouble.  Needless to say I had so much fun in the waves-which were huge.  All alone because no one would swim with me.  I think that being IN the ocean playing in the waves is my favorite past time. 
 Here is a picture of the girls that made it this trip.  We were only in Destin, FL from Friday night - Sunday but made the most of our time.  We ate at Another Broken Egg twice and Dewey Destin's which had the second best meal I've ever tasted the Parmesan Crusted Grouper. Oh and I got about 6 hours of sleep all weekend.

(yes I do have another swimsuit besides the yellow one but this is my favorite) 
The people in the tent next to us have been coming down from Indiana for 30 years.  They have a group of about 40 people and come the same week every year.  So much can change in 30 years but they were still all friends coming down to the beach for the week to have fun together. 
I am not a sappy person but, I am so thankful that God blessed me with the friendships that are in my life right now.  With today being Sept 11 it is so easy to look back and think about where we were on this day.  I was in first year at Auburn.  I only had one acquaintance that sat by me in history class and he was the only person that I could call to hang out with because no one wanted to be alone on that day.  The crazy thing is that all but one of my supper club friends lived in Auburn at the time, but not one of us knew each other.  Thankful that today I can take my pick of who to call.  Here is to at least 30 more beach trips! 

6 comments:

Hannah Dixon said...

Cheers! It really was a great trip and I'm definitely looking forward to the next 30 years with everyone! :)

Kat said...

Hey I've been to Destin before:) Shopping, of course. Glad you had a great time. I would have been in the water right there with ya. Ya can't beat the clear, warm water of the gulf! Sure beats the trash-infested waters of the Jersey shore!!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

That little squirrel is cracking me up. My husband lives squirrels and feeds them all the time. We are a bit of a squirrel sanctuary.

The Taffs said...

Wow, what awesome pictures of the squirrel! And, as always, the beach looks great too...makes me want to pack up and head south!

Anna said...

good thing my husband wasnt there...i will keep his identity as "husband" so that he doesnt turned over to some crazy animal group...but he hunts those things with his bow out our windows and he would have be delighted to bait this one right into his hand!

Adeayu said...

the squirrel is so cute XD

visit my little cream button♥

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011