Monday, July 9, 2012

Fry It Up

4th of July in the middle of the week.  Yea or Nae.  My boss was nice enough to give several days off so I rather enjoyed it. 
I found all of Season 2 of Downton Abbey at the library which was a 4th of July miracle, only second to my 4th of July engagement 8 years ago.
So between spending time with friends, Downton Abbey, and the lake we have had fun.
trying to be as cool as my nephews.  claire swimming with eric.  tubing with baron.  brooks pulling my sister with his trolling motor boat. ha.  claire exploring at the lake



Now to the tasty stuff...
I have probably fried food 3 times in my life.  I cannot stand for my house to smell like food and frying food does just that.  Anyway a few days ago I made it my 4th time to fry.  I was craving some fried green beans then I started to think about fried pickles and I had a green tomato that needed to be fried.  They were sure good and my house didn't stink too bad.


I got my recipe for the batter from Mommy's Kitchen.  I loved this batter because it wasn't too cornmealy.

Fried Green Bean, Pickles and Green Tomatoesvegetable oil for frying
1 - cup all purpose flour
1 - cup yellow cornmeal
1 - tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 - teaspoon ground red pepper
1 - cup whole buttermilk (
didn't have this but made my own)

Fresh green beans, cleaned and ends snapped
Sliced pickle chips
Green tomatoes sliced

Pour 2" of oil into pan, I use a cast iron skillet.  Heat over medium/high until 375*.  Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.  Dip veggies into buttermilk then into dry mix, back into buttermilk and dry ingredients to coat.
Fry veggies in batches, until golden brown and crisp, approximately 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve warm with ranch or zesty dipping sauce.

If you fry food do you have any tips to take away the fry smell?

5 comments:

Malia said...

ooo...thanks for the reminder of fried pickles. We're having a fish fry this weekend (outside). Fried pickles would be awesome (and easy) for a starter. We made fish tacos for dinner last night, and the house just smelled for a while. For me, the tastyness weighs out the smell.

skye @ neathering our fest said...

I love me some fried green tomatoes! :) Where did you get your bathing suit? I love that top!

emily said...

Yum! I love fried food yet hate to fry it myself.

I may just have to make the green beans though.

alanna rose said...

The fried green beans...I die. They look so good!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Fried pickles. Love. Them. Oh my goodness. Yummy!

We make fried green tomatoes a lot this time of year. We like to put mozzerella on them and then bake after frying for a few minutes and dip in marinara. The best.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011