Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe

As you can see from my last post I've had a pretty good tomato turnout this summer with my few plants.  Since tomatoes are one of my favorite foods, I mostly just pop the little ones into my mouth for a quick snack and eat the large ones like an apple.  While they make a good treat I knew that I wanted to save some of the extra tomatoes for salsa.  I've never made homemade salsa before but I don't know why not, it was so easy.  My father in law shared his recipe with me and I'm going to share with you.



SALSA - makes 4 cups
4 tomatoes
1/2 large onion - white
3 jalapenos - (I seeded 2 of them)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Lowry's Season Salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

optional-
(I used them all and guesstimated amount):
chili powder
cumin
cilantro

I rough chopped everything and then threw it all into my blender and pulsed it.  By pulsing it chops everything evenly, I always pulse my food before I blend for that reason.  After everything was all chopped up I simmered the salsa on the stove for 10 minutes.

This salsa turned out to be pretty hot.  If you don't want as much kick I would use fewer jalapenos and no seeds.  I also used a purple onion so I think that upped the heat. 


Love my Ninja blender.  It is worth every penny!

What is good salsa without good chips?
I use to not be picky about tortilla chips until I tried On The Border Cantina Thins.  Omg people these are the best chips ever.  You have to try them with your fresh salsa.
Buen provecho.

6 comments:

Kat said...

Yum--that salsa looks great. I did like a million jars of salsa last year and I think we're still on the first one:/ Planning on doing sauce this year with my tomatoes. That is IF there's any left after I stack 'em on my sandwiches...man, I sliced my first one up today and it was so juicy and delish. Can't beat the taste of a fresh homegrown tomato!

shoberlm said...

Off topic from this post but I have a question for you. I just found your posts on your kitchen remodel, mainly covering your butcher block countertops. Do you have a post talking about staining/painting your cabinets? We have similar dark wood cabinets and I have been waiting to paint them white FOREVER! The husband is againt painting saying it won't look good. Is there a reason you painted vs staining? I am not a DIY'er at all but want to do this because we need a change so bad. Any ideas, suggestions you have would be great!! Thanks so much!

Judy Harlan said...

You're right about the On the border chips. They are great. The salsa recipe looks pretty good too.

Cindy Dy said...


amazing and nice looking site please love it and make more effective… keep it up.

Bubble
www.gofastek.com

Silvia Jacinto said...

Time is gold. We should treasure every second of it so that in time we will not regret anything because we only live ones.I have read your article and i was glad and inspired. Thanks for it, Cheers!
Visit my site if you have time, Enjoy.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Jamie said...

This salsa is great and I love the heat. But I'm curious... is that a jar of marshmallow in the background, how cleaver, do they stay fresh?

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011