Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Strawberry Pie

It is strawberry season so here is an idea for y'all to use up those strawberries you've been buying...



For Easter made this pie so Eric could have a non dairy dessert while he watched us eat our banana pudding. He loved it and has encouraged me to make it anytime I want. Wow! how sweet of him :)
It is similar to the Shoney's pie (remember that place? my sister would get spaghetti every time) except I made a pretzel crust instead of a traditional pie crust.

For the crust you will need:
2 1/4 cups crushed pretzels (I put mine in the blender to get ground well enough to work with)
3/4 cup butter softened
3 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix butter, sugar and pretzels. Press into a pie dish and bake 350* for 10 minutes.

For the filling you will need:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoon cornstarch
6 tablespoon strawberry Jell-O (don't use sugar free!)
Carton of strawberries

In a sauce pan cook sugar, cornstarch and water together. Stirring until it turns into a pudding consistency. Add the strawberry Jello and stir.
Slice strawberries and place in the pretzel pie shell. Pour Jello mixture over the strawberries. Chill at least 2 hours.

If I had to guess I would say that it would be extra special with a big ol pile of fresh whip cream on top.

4 comments:

Kat said...

Yum...I made a strawberry pretzel salad that's very similar. There's something about that salty/sweet combo...

Cindy Sager said...

This recipe is also good with peaches and peach jello.

Karen said...

That pie looks delicious Vanessa!

Red Gate Farm said...

I too have a recipe for a strawberry/jello pretzel salad that starts with a crust like this... never thought of using it on a strawberry pie! FANTASTIC idea and I will be making this!

~Chris

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011