Monday, March 12, 2012

Climbing Columns

For about 2 years I've been trying to get confederate jasmine to grow up our porch columns. When we planted it at our mailbox within a month the jasmine had grown up the lattice surrounding the mailbox. It has been a slow go on the porch columns. This photo was taken last July a year after the c.j. was planted it was just growing in circles.





We've tried different ways to give the jasmine something to grip on but the latest, fishing wire, wasn't cutting it. I picked up these Command Strips for cords on clearance at Target and I think they may be the winner.Unlike the staples I wanted to use, they don't damage the wood. And unlike the ugly netting that Eric wanted to use, they are virtually invisible.


See the only thing you notice in this photo is the pollen. If the confederate jasmine has grown this much since July I am hoping by the end of the summer the columns will be covered.


Anyone have any backup ideas if this doesn't work?

10 comments:

Emily said...

That jasmine is going to be so pretty when it gets to the top of the columns. Those Command hooks are a great idea...

Rachel said...

Great idea! Its going to look so pretty.

alanna rose said...

This is going to look so great :)

Kat said...

Look at you--figurin' it out! I just love the front of your house--it's so cute and welcoming! After I leave this comment, I'm going to figure out what the heck confederate jasmine is. I guess it doesn't grow for us Yanks up here;)

Accessorize and Organize said...

it looks great!!! have you ever thought about creeping fig? it grows up fast but will not give you the volume that jasmine will...

Hannah Dixon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah Dixon said...

Jasmine did wonderful on our cedar columns, but the command strips sounds genius to me! I just hope the sticky strips survive our humid summer!

Nikki said...

Does it smell good too? I always want to plant jasmine but it doesn't grow well here. Time to move to California.

Red Gate Farm said...

What a fabulous solution! I hope they stay "stuck" through any kind of weather!! I'm not familiar with this kind of jasmine... if the hooks eventually come off but the plant has finally grown up the columns will it stay there on it's own?

Can't wait to see what it looks like this summer!! I love climbing plants!

~Chris

CCB said...

we used white chain link to wrap around our columns and it worked like a charm!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011