Monday, February 6, 2012

Rivers & His Quilt

Remember that pennant quilt I've been working on? Well I had to step it up Thursday night and finish because this little guy decided he wanted to make an appearance early!
Meet my nephew Rivers!



Baby Brother made a certain someone a very proud Big Sister!







Several months ago I read that 2012 would be the year of "nature inspired" baby names. I think that Rivers falls right into that category. I have a nephew named Brooks (circa 2003 before nature names were cool :) and now Eric's nephew is named Rivers. There won't be a 2012 baby at our house but we also have a nature name for a girl, I think our family will have nature names covered.



Now that we've seen the real star of the show here is Rivers' quilt. We were in a hurry to get to the hospital Friday so I had to settle for a few quick snaps.










I've gotten a lot of questions about the blue background fabric. It is actually a chambray Ralph Lauren flat twin bed sheet. I love love love chambray so it was hard to let this fabric go, but since it was for my nephew it wasn't too bad. I love to use sheets because they are big and don't require seams and usually end up costing less than quilting fabric. Ross and TJ Maxx usually have cute sheets for cheap.




The backing is just a super soft white sheet I bought on clearance at Target for $2. I was really wanting gingham but I could only find gingham crib sheets so I settled for white. The navy & white gingham pennant flag is actually part of a sheet leftover from Brooks' cowboy quilt.




I used a template for the pennants, try this one. The pennants are made from scraps so they were free. I did fabric fuse to adhere the pennants on before sewing. It may have taken a little extra time in the beginning but seriously it was the best thing ever. Thanks for the suggestions on the rick rack, I bought it at Hobby Lobby.




Since I only quilted around the pennants which were adhered to the top fabric this quilt was soooo easy! I have a few mistakes on the back that I may correct but I was really wanting to take it to the hospital. Besides imperfections are what homemade "special", right?

14 comments:

Dara M. said...

Congrats on your new nephew! I love additions to the family. I think your quilt looks great and he will enjoy it years to come. I never thought to use existing sheets for quilts, it was like an ah-ha moment when I read that. I know quilts take a lot of time to make, so congrats on getting that done in time for the baby. Especially since it looks great!

skye @ neathering our fest said...

Yay for your new nephew!! He is so sweet! I love nephews - mine is so cute I could just eat him up! :) I taught him how to bang a hammer on a table Friday night. His parents LOOOVE me. ;)

That quilt is adorable!

Nikki said...

it looks awesome! I love the chambray sheet idea...heck I should make one for myself.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

What a beautiful baby! So happy he's healthy and here safe and sound. Love love love your quilt. It's so darn cute. I love the darker background and the binding is fabulous. You have quite a talent.

Renae said...

I've been loving the name Ivy (that's outdoorsy!) for a while...but don't see any more kiddos in my future so we almost named our puppy that! But we went with Lucy instead.

Love the quilt...so, so cute!

JJB said...

How cute! The baby AND the quilt!! Love the tip about using a sheet for the quilt... I'll have to remember that!

alanna rose said...

He is so precious, congratulations!!
The quilt is perfect, excellent job!

Kat said...

Great job on the quilt! Love the name. Unique names are so fun:)

emily said...

It looks wonderful! You deserve the Aunt of the year award!! (and make this Aunt look awful...ha)

He's adorable. Love his name.

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

I love it! I have been thinking of making a pennant quilt for our guest room/my sewing room...there's something awfully whimsical about them. Now that I've seen your completed quilt, I'm sold! I hope mine turns out half as cute as your quilt!

Malia said...

So Cute! Both your nephew and the quilt. Love the hint on the twin sheet too. I didn't end up making mine, too much stuff came up but I'll definitely keep yours in mind for inspiration when I do make one.

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Congrats on the new nephew! awesome quilt

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Congrats on the new nephew! awesome quilt

Rachel said...

The quilt looks great! Congrats on your new sweet little nephew. :)

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011