Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New Bedding

The fall sewing bug has bitten me. Last weekend I did a lot of sewing. I made some new euro shams, throw pillow and a fake duvet for our bedroom. I even made the quilt top that has been in my to do stack since April...2010!

The photos are dark, but you get the idea...

The start of me sewing new pillows began a few weeks ago when I picked up this Thomas O'Brien quilt for $25 at Target. Even though it is king and I have a queen bed I knew I could make it work in my bedroom.



Changing bedding is something I love to do. I LOVE fabrics and adding a set of new euro shams is a easy and inexpensive way to change up bedding and get to use some of the pretty fabrics I've been drooling over. If you try really hard you can get 2 euro sham fronts out of 1 yard of decorator fabric. So depending on your cost of fabric you could get 2 new euro shams for around $15 like I did.






Usually I make my euro shams with a flange and that is it. But this time I decided to branch out and add piping.



It wasn't as hard as I imagined. I just didn't realize I needed to move my needle over until I was finished, but you can't even notice on the front side of the pillow. I had originally planned on running the piping fabric on the bias but I didn't have enough fabric and didn't want to buy more. I think it worked out for the best because loose weave fabric on the bias moves a lot more than regular cut and with my first time making piping it could have ended in disaster.




Next time I may get brave enough to add an invisible zipper, but for now I am stuck with an envelope backing skill level. To save money I usually don't use the same fabric on the front and back of shams/duvets. In this case I used a $2 shower curtain I bought on clearance at Target last year.





The throw pillow is made with Premier Prints "Gotcha" in Summerland Yellow. I wanted to use a pillow I already had to stuff the case and I only bought 1/2 yard of fabric.

I just added a little panel in the euro sham fabric to close up my envelope since I was a few inches short of the yellow fabric. Lemonade out of lemons.





Now for the fake duvet cover, the duvon't (i just made up that word). I prefer the look of a quilt or blanket then something folded up at the bottom of the bed. I wasn't in the mood to make a full sized duvet cover but I still wanted that bulk at the bottom of the bed.


I had grand plans for this little duvon't. I was going to do the border in bias cut stripes and it was going to look awesome. The only problem is I'm not smart enough or patient enough or enough of a perfectionist to carry out that plan. I did get my bias cut stripes, but the corners don't match up like my original plan. Oh well it looks good enough for me and I'm sure this time next year I will have a new duvon't. I just stuffed our old duvet into the duvon't, again I used an envelope backing. I am hoping to find a cheapie but really fluffy comforter to stuff in there so I don't have to keep fluffing the down duvon't.






I spent only $44 on my euro shams, throw sham and duvon't. Pretty good!




Fabrics I used..

Euro Sham Fabric - Premier Prints: Henna Summerland/Natural






Rectangle Pillow Fabric - Premier Prints: Gotcha summerland/yellow natural


The piping fabric is also a Premier Prints fabric -I couldn't find it online so it may be discontinued.




I am still looking for a fabric for the little pillow between the euro shams, until then I just used a sham that matches the quilt.

15 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This looks really great! I love the shams and the duvon't. You are so talented!

Kat said...

Wow, Vanessa! It looks GREAT. I love the colors you chose--that's totally the route I'd like to go in our bedroom as well. Love the fabric--it's perfect together. And what a deal on the coverlet. You got some mad skills, girl. I'm jealous.

Nikki said...

That looks awesome! So talented! Would the piping be easier if you used a welting foot? I've been thinking of getting one, but I don't know my stuff.

Duv'ont. Love it!

Sailor's Sweetheart said...

wow, I'm super jealous! I try to be creative and thrifty but I always end up with a hot mess! Love love love your bed!!

hartmom said...

Looks great! Beautiful job on the fabric choices and the sewing!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors! Very chic. I actually just received my anniversary present today...a sewing machine! Your post gave me great ideas! Do you use patters, a book, etc? Any tips to get me started?

Rachel said...

Love it!!!

Pine Tree Home said...

Totally spiced up the room. Great job!

alanna rose said...

Looks great! And I have to say, duvon't is my new favorite word :)

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Girl you did an awesome job! Love your fabric choices. Wish I could get you to do some bedding for me.

Ashley@ DesignBuildLove.co said...

the bedding looks absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!! Totally wish I had your sewing skills!

Leanne said...

I love this! I'm in the process of s-l-o-w-l-y redoing out bedroom as well. Right now it's half grey and half brown - not my plan! Can you post a tutorial for the pillows and duvon't? I'd love more information on how you did that! The piping looks awesome - I've tried before and never had great success.

Bradley Robertson said...

Impressive!!!

Natalie said...

pretty v! and smart too ;)

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

I love this, Vanessa!! We have had the same bedding for 6 years and I'm ready for a change - I LOVE the colors you used here! We have gray-blue walls in our master bedroom and I'm thinking I might just have to use your fabulous bedding as a jumping off point. :)

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011