Friday, October 7, 2011

House Exterior Paint Color

Along with the questions about interior paint colors I often get asked what our exterior brick is painted.



In the spring we had a knock at the door and it was a sweet couple that was wanting to know what color the exterior paint was. The first thing they said was "I know this is weird" and we told them that it was normal for us. I am always stalking people's houses for ideas. I drive by my favorite house in Auburn at least once a week and just drool.

Like with the interior paint color I'm not really sure what the exterior color is. It was painted by the previous owners and they didn't leave an extra can in the shed.

We did have to have some of the paint color matched and this is what the can looks like.


Not really helpful at all, I guess it was left outside in the rain. For the couple that showed up at our house I painted a note card for them to have color matched. I would be happy to mail one to you if you are really interested!


The brick paint color is closest to these colors, which in these pictures they don't look close at all, but they are similar.
All Benjamin Moore


Gettysburg Gray HC-107



Claire's favorite Squirrel Tail 1476



For more of a green undertone I would go with Sage Mountain 1488, it is a really pretty color.



Our trim was already painted and there wasn't a paint color to be found so I had to custom mix a color. Just like real couture. I brought some samples home that looked like a close match and just mixed those until I got the perfect color. It wasn't the most fun project but it worked.

picture from last fall


The top numbers are all 0. The bottom numbers l-r are 244 232 20.


Our front door is painted black (obvs) but I wanted to do something different on the back doors. I went with Spanish Olive by Glidden.

This photo is from 2010, before I painted the back of the house trim to match the front. It was stark white, now it is a soft cream to match the rest of the house. Much better!




I hope that helps the ones of you that have asked about our exterior paint colors.


Happy weekend & War Eagle!

13 comments:

Nikki said...

Do you have your own paint chip book? You are too funny!

I love the spanish olive too ;)

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Thanks! Now that the weather is cooling off in Florida I'm getting ready to tackle painting the exterior of our home. We are going to paint our brick a gray too so this is very helpful!

Kat said...

Your house is too cute. Seriously love it. Have a fun weekend:)

Natalie said...

i actually decided what color to paint our house by stalking and finding the designer who painted a house nearby.
and now i get asked all the time what our house is painted...and it happens to be...drumroll....sage mountain by benjamin moore :)

funny

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

Ok, you have me seriously considering painting the brick exterior of our house! I'm sure my husband would quickly remind me that it's SO not in the budget. But I bet a quart or two of Spanish Olive is! Waiting for the weather to drop a few degrees before painting our back door. :)

Have you settled on a porch floor color??

Red Gate Farm said...

That's how we picked the new color for the Peach Palace... we found a house with the color we liked and knocked on their door!

However in our old house (before Red Gate Farm) we tried the same thing when repainting... the color ended up NOTHING like the inspiration house... maybe they really didn't want to share their color ;)

~Chris

PS, love the colors you have used! They are perfect on your place.

Kim said...

I really like that Squirrel Tail, but I hate squirrels so I don't know if I could use it. lol!

When we lived in San Diego we painted our little English Tudor cottage in a soft yellow color. It was so pretty. People would stop and ask us what the color was too. It was always a sweet compliment. :)

Alejamuel Sultz said...

Changing our exterior paint was one of our best decisions when we finally decided on renovating our house. We also did some house stalking just to get ideas. :p We chose earthy colors at first and switched to more creative colors in the following years.

Valerie Casady said...

I also do that! I look at other people’s houses and if I like them, I want to find out how they did it. Hehe. Such as, if I’m attracted to a certain house color, if I’m given the chance, I’d ask the owner of house what specific blend they’ve used. ;)

- Please visit our website

Angelica Pestrano said...

I love seeing unique exterior colors from different houses in our place. Sometimes I want to believe that our choice of colors reflects our personality. Thanks for sharing your interesting story.

Rhino Shield

Danielle said...

Love, love this! Thanks for sharing. We have put up about 10 samples nothing has caught our attention, but now we have found our match. Thank you. What color are your shutter? I'm assuming black like the door but hard to tell in the pictures.
Thank you.

Bronwyn Hass said...

That must have been a lot of work, Vanessa. Thanks for sharing these wonderful ideas to repaint a house. I usually do repainting jobs on our house, so I research on what colors would be effective. I did a color combination of yellowish white on the walls of our house, gold on our window panes and sky green for our roof. It was certainly an eye candy for people passing by. And seeing your hard work appreciated takes all the fatigue away.

Bronwyn Hass

Ralph Johnson said...

I was curious about that paint tile, is that for sampling or comparison?
epoxy coating Texas

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011