Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mrs. Story's Chili Dog Knockoff

I am not much of a food snob, I will eat pretty much anything. While we do try to eat pretty healthy at our house every now and then we will eat a pack of hot dogs in 2 days. And places like this are usually my favorite type of restaurants.
Mrs. Story's Dairy Bar via

One thing I am a snob about is chili. When Eric and I first got married he wanted chili dogs...with chili from a can. I about flipped and it was then I wondered what I got myself into, I am sure he was thinking the same thing.

Fast forward six years later to last week, my coworker asked what kind of canned chili I buy for chili dogs, um none. We started to talk about Mrs. Story's Dairy Bar in the neighboring town. They have the best chili slaw dogs around. Except for it isn't really chili in the sense of having beans, tomatoes, and onions but just like a chili seasoning and ground beef. We decided to try just that and to our amazement the chili dogs tasted almost just like Mrs. Story's minus the slaw and good chocolate soft serve ice cream.

This isn't really a recipe because all you do is

brown & drain 1 lb of hamburger meat
add a pack of chili seasoning, a little squirt of ketchup and 1/2 a cup water
cook until the water is gone

I froze the leftover chili for future dogs. Mrs. Story's boils their hot dogs, but we chose to grill because it was Sunday lunch after all. I am sure my Nana is so proud.



Don't worry I got my ice cream fix later that afternoon at Toomer's. I couldn't waste this rare moment on chocolate soft serve so I pulled out all the stops and ordered a hot fudge brownie. After 3 chili dogs, does it really matter?

I had to throw that last picture in for all the Auburn fans coming into town in the next few months for football season!! Make sure you stop by Toomer's & Mrs Story's!

9 comments:

Nikki said...

I don't think I've ever had a chili dog before, but now I want one. That looks so good!

skye @ neathering our fest said...

It is very high on my priority list to have a chili dog at the Varsity this weekend! War Eagle Friend!

Kat said...

Okay, this would be Mitch's favorite meal, I'm pretty sure. And now you've got me cravin' one!

Red Gate Farm said...

I must admit, I'm not a fan of hot dogs... I'm the odd one out in our family since they all love them. In fact my daughter was a vegetarian for a number of years, the only "cheat" she had was a hot dog once in a while... that's how much they all love them!

Your little drive in looks just like the kind of place I would visit... but for a burger and coke :)

~Chris

The Wileys said...

Now I want a Mrs. Story's milkshake. Thanks ;)

Brooke said...

Mmmmm...chili dog! I haven't had one in so long! Mrs. Story's looks exactly like a place a couple towns away from where I live (except this place has a house built right behind it for the owners). They have the best coffee shakes! I might have to drive over soon and get a chili dog and shake!

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

never had a chili dog but boy that looks good

Rachel said...

I'm so surprised by all of the people in your comments who have never had a chili dog before!!

There's a little place like that in town and I LOVE their chili dogs. I never thought to make my own! Thanks for the 'recipe'...now I know what we are having for dinner. :)

hartmom said...

I am drooling for 3 reasons...delicious looking chili dogs, incredible brownie Sunday and the best of all football season starts tomorrow!! woohoo! What I wouldn't give to attend a game at Auburn...that would be a dream come true. How about I get my guest room ready for you to come to a game at the Rose Bowl and I'll hop on a plane to Auburn! (just kidding you know, but in my dreams...haha!)

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011