Thursday, September 8, 2011

CFA Nugget FAIL

edit: I guess Pinterest can fail you. I assumed since the pinterest tag said these were just like Chick Fil A they were. But if I had read the recipe it never states CFA, just sweet nuggets. Carry on...


We love being "guests" at Chick-fil-A, it is always "our pleasure" to dine there. Eric has been on a big CFA kick lately so when I saw a recipe for CFA nuggets on Pinterest I was all over it. The only problem you have to fry them. I HATE to fry foods. I have only fried 1 thing since we have been married, and I am sure before that I had never fried anything.


I decided to suck it up for the sake of that awesome and sweet Chick-fil-A flavor and fry the nuggets instead of "oven fry". The nuggets were good...because chicken nuggets just are. But a knock off of the real CFA nuggets they were not. I'm not sure if I needed more confectioners sugar or what but I was disappointed.


Here is the recipe if you want to try. If they turn out right tell me where I went wrong.


Oh and a special shout out to Minnie from The Help. I am sure buried back in my brain I knew that you could fry with Crisco but had forgotten all about it. When I went to cook these chicken nuggets I didn't have enough oil so I did what I saw Minnie do in the movie and used Crisco!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I've been wanting to try that recipe! I'll just hit up the drive-thru instead. ;)

Wendy said...

The type of oil used has an effect upon the taste of the finished product, so if you combined Crisco and oil instead of using straight peanut oil (which has a VERY distinct flavor), that's probably part of the reason yours didn't turn out quite like CFA's nuggets. If I recall correctly, CFA uses peanut oil exclusively.

Also, the original recipe posted by Snickerdoodle didn't include chili powder; if you wanted a hint of spice I'd use a couple of shakes of cayenne into the flour or a few drops of tabasco in the milk mixture, but the heat (however little) is going to cut into the sweetness of the coating.

That's my crack at troubleshooting for you. I don't fry very often (once every 4 months or so) but for when I do I bought a small deep-fryer because it makes better use of the oil and is easier to clean up (in my opinion, of course!).

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

I'll have to try it I love their nuggets! Too funny mentioning Minny. I just finished reading the Help, hoping to see the movie this weekend.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Love that Minnie. I've never used Crisco to fry, either.

I was really hoping they'd be as good as the real thing. They are Ryan's favorite food. :)

Meagan (AZestyBite) said...

Hey, I am glad you tried you out the recipe. I am very addicted to Pinterest! The funny thing is that I have never put them with Chick Fil A. I just made them to be plain chicken nuggets. Sorry if the post on Pinterest was misleading.

Meagan (AZesty Bite) said...

I do hope you try another recipe from my blog at www.azestybite.com! PS. Congrats on your Better Homes and Garden spread.

Tanya @ Dans le Townhouse said...

Too bad they didn't turn out. I find things always taste better when someone else cooks them, though :)

Kayla said...

Now, if you had a recipe for Chik Fil A's chicken salad, that I would be all over. I am addicted to their chicken salad sandwiches, even though when I order them I hold up the drive thru line a little bit - they have to toast that bread just perfectly for me!

Nikki said...

Bahaha! I remember that part. I've never had Chick-a-fil before. I don't know that we have that over here.

I hate frying things too. Stinks up the whole house!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011