Thursday, July 21, 2011

Our Fav Quick Supper

Ok so if you know how to cook real Cajun food you may want to avert your eyes. But if you don't then let me introduce you to our favorite meal.....

Vigo Red Beans & Rice. I am unusually not a fan of prepackaged cajun food but on a whim I threw this little jewel into my buggy. Since then we have eaten it at least once a week. Yes that implies that we have eaten it more than once a week on occasion. Add half of a pack of sausage and omit the butter. It is soooo hot when cooked so let it cool for about 10 minutes before eating.
The meal wouldn't be complete without the costar Jiffy Sweet Cornbead. I don't remember ever having this awesomeness growing up, we ate real made from scratch cornbread. But one of the perks of marriage is the blending of favorite foods and I have grown to love this little box. At only 40 cents you can't go wrong. I make ours in muffin cups so I can freeze a batch and thaw as needed.



Shoot em Liz, shoot em, shoot em!

4 comments:

Kat said...

Easy & delish? Right up my alley!

Rachel said...

I love me some Jiffy cornbread and their little cake mixes!! And we are huge fans of Swamp People. ;)

Nikki said...

Too funny. We eat a similar meal and throw in some bell peppers and sometimes zuchinni to get the veggies. Whenever I make cornbread with it though my Husband says they don't go together. I'm going to show him this post ;)

have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

What an inspirational blog you have. I am in awe. The kitchen you now cook in is simply devine.

Make your own sweet cornbread cheaper. We started with Jiffy but is was too expensive when we wanted it more than once a week. Get a bag of good cornmeal. According to Cook's Illustrated: "...For the best corn muffins, look for more finely ground whole grain cornmeal. Degerminated cornmeal doesn't supply enough flavor, and if the cornmeal is ground too coarsely, your muffins will be too heavy..."
I use the package directions on the bag we buy. I make a pan cornbread in a 9 inch round. You get the best edge crust using Crisco shortening and then putting the pan in the oven as it heats up. I added a 1/4 cup of sugar and it makes it sweet without being cake-ish sweet. One 5 pound bag can last us a couple of weeks of almost daily cornbread in winter (chili season!). It makes a great snack too. I make two pans at a time now - one for breakfast on the go for the hubster and one for lunch or dinner. They do not last.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011