Monday, June 27, 2011

Nephew Weekend

Friday I took the day off of work to pick up my nephew for a weekend with his aunts & uncles down south.


Our first stop was DeSoto Caverns. It was the first time at DeSoto Caverns for both of us and the first time for Brooks to go to a cave or cavern.

There are also a lot of other things to do besides the caverns and they have some nice picnic areas. I am a sucker for cheesy gift shops and this one fit the bill. When we walked in and saw the set up of rocks & gems for sale, I knew it was going to be a special place. Surprisingly we made it out with 2 marbles and a toy cork gun.


My camera battery died after that first shot so everything else is taken from my little camera that dates back to the same time the caves were discovered.






After we had our fill of the caverns our next stop was the Blue Bell factory.
I love factories as much as tacky gift shops but we got to Blue Bell too late for a tour. They had big windows where you could watch production, we loved it.


We did make a stop in their gift shop and came out with a cow tattoo and a ice cream popper toy.




The best part a big scoop of ice cream is only 50 cents! Load me up. The best flavor we tried was the Birthday Cake, sooo good.




When we finally made it back to Auburn we went to visit Eric at work and he drove us up to the complex on his golf cart.




Where we had to get a picture with the National Championship trophy!



Brooks could choose anything he wanted to do for the night and he chose bowling. I haven't been bowling since 2001 so I forgot how much fun it was. Brooks won!





We finished the night with dinner at Five Guys and a trip to Hibbits. I think we did our job and wore him out, he slept almost 12 hours Friday night!




Saturday after many heated games of wiffle ball we took Brooks to my sister Angie's house. She and Joe took him to a Montgomery Biscuits baseball game. Before the game Brooks participated in a little clinic put on by the players. He was even interviewed for the news!



During one of the wiffle ball games a neighbor stopped by and invited us to visit his garden. When we got back into town we walked over to his house. I can't even describe how awesome his "garden" is. Right in the middle of town is his amazing space. Maybe one day I can get some pictures or better yet a magazine needs to get over there asap. Eric was on cloud nine because this guy also happens to be a "celebrity" in the tree grafting world (lol!) and propagates many of his own lillies and other plants.




Saturday was also mine & Eric's 6th Anniversary! Since we are going to NYC soon we celebrated in Auburn at our favorite restaurant Amsterdam Cafe.



I had this little cookie cake made for us, it is suppose to be a "6" but looks more like a "b". Oh well it still tasted great.

I had the very tasty shrimp & grits and Eric stuck to his usual steak sandwich.







When we got home we exchanged gifts. We always give a gift from the "traditional" anniversary gift list. 6 years was candy.
I wrote Eric a little poem with candy to match.




I told Eric I felt sorry for him because no matter what he did it wouldn't be as awesome as my candy poem. But he did get major points for "6" Reese Cups & my fav and elusive peanut butter M&Ms.





So wow that was long. If you are still reading you deserve a prize, how about some candy?!
Anything interesting happen during your weekend? Have you ever taken your nephew or niece for the weekend? If not do it soon, it was so fun and I hope that Brooks remembers it for as long as we do.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Fun weekend! That's so special for your nephew. I was at a softball tourny all day Sat. watching Mitch play. They won it all so that was cool. Looks like you guys had lots o' fun. Your dinner looks fab and I too am a fan of the pb m&m's. Yum. I could go for some right now.

Nikki said...

6 years is candy?! I'm getting out now ;)

What a nice Auntie. I bet he had a blast. I would've. $.50 ice cream?!

hartmom said...

Can I just say that you and Eric are the cutest couple EVER! Love your poem and the candy...I'm going to copy it and send it to my daughter who is getting married next month. She loves candy so she'll be excited to know it's only 6 years away! Your dinner looked delicious too. And how sweet of you to spend time with your nephew...I know he will remember it always.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011