Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Painted Doors

One of my winter projects this year was painting the interior doors in our house a dark color.
We still have the original solid wood doors with the original hardware. They have 61 years worth of paint on them so ideally they need to be stripped down, but just painting them a dark color hid a lot of their flaws.

When trying to decide a color I knew that black was a little too formal for my house. I wanted something with more depth than brown offers so I knew brown was out. Flipping through my Sherwin Williams paint deck I came across Urbane Bronze. Then a few months later I found this photo in my "collection" so I knew it was meant to be.





It ended up that I never even tried Urbane Bronze on the doors. I just chose several swatches from HD that were similar. I taped them to the broom closet door for a couple of weeks and looked at them everytime I walked by. If a color didn't work I took it down. I ended up with Martha Stewart Feather Duster (top half) and Glidden Dark Ivy (bottom half).



I decided to go with the the Glidden Dark Ivy, it was just prettier to me. Once I did start painting I was getting a little nervous when the paint was wet because it was looking totally different than the sample coat. But once the door dried all was as planned.






I used a small trim paint roller to paint the doors and a brush for the crevices.

I ended up doing 2 full coats and a light top coat so 3 coats total, sanding between each coat. I only painted the outside of the doors and let the insides the old color. I love the results. The doors look so much better!




It is hard to get a picture in a tiny little hallway.



I still need to clean off the door hardware. The previous painters did a terrible job with oil paint on the trim and doors and decided to get it all over the doorknobs. The hinges have so much paint there is no hope for a quick fix.

You sure can't buy that great brass patina today.

**For a great post on painted doors with lots of eye candy click HERE

11 comments:

Ginger@cottageonrosewood said...

I'm so green with envy. The color you chose is perfect and that brass hardware...even more perfect!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you did a post on this! I've been trying to decide on painting my doors to give them some character. Right now they are just plain jane. I just don't know that I'm bold enough to go that dark yet. However...it looks great in your house. Especially with those doorknobs!

Ben and Emily said...

LOVE this!

Kat said...

So funny--that picture of the three doors--we have the exact same get-up here at our house and I was thinking maybe it'd be too dark to paint them. But now I can totally visualize it! I swear we're twins.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I need to just bite the bullet and DO THIS! I love it!

Red Gate Farm said...

Love how they turned out! They really look good with a dark color. I too have trouble getting photos inside many parts of my house... it's pretty small as well.

It's great that you have the original hardware, even if it needs some lovin'!

~Chris

QZB said...

Love the doors, love the kitchen, love the blog! I just finished reading all the back posts, can't wait to see what you'll talk about it the future! :)

Nikki said...

I love it! Didn't we vote on this awhile back, I can't remember what I picked though.

I'm trying to get myself to paint the exterior doors black this weekend. We'll see.

Kim said...

ohhhh, I liiikkkkeee! I have a door and window fetish. I love old wood doors and windows. I dream of replacing our new front door and window with cool old pieces with lots of character. *sigh*

Ric said...

Hi
That is so cute, I would of never thought of that. I am definitely making me one or maybe a few! Lol bronze door knobs

Andrea said...

Love these doors! I know it's been a few years, but do you happen to recall what sheen of paint you used? I like that it's not super shiny. Thanks for sharing!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011