Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New Vent Hood Cover

When we moved into our house we inherited a really grody stove vent hood. It was pretty greasy and grimy and I didn't want to try and clean it, just replace with something new and clean. I still wasn't sold on just a vent hood, it was so ugly. I had seen Life In The Fast Lane's vent cover and thought it would be the perfect fit in our situation. Well it sort of was, but due to some issues we weren't able to do the side panels to give the true built in look. But I wasn't going to make do with a plain vent hood so we improvised. I do like the angles of Holly's cover better, but guess what several months ago I saw a Martha kitchen with the same exact stove hood as mine! So I guess that is my seal of approval.


In the tutorial, they cut the front part of the metal hood off so that you could still access the light and fan switch. Eric wouldn't do that for fear of sliced hands so he rewired the switches and put them up in the cabinet, right in front of the cookbooks. How awesome is that?! We also added some shelves for storage of spices, baking goods, and cookbooks. Much appreciated in a small kitchen like we have.





We did buy a new vent hood. I bought the cheapest one I could find at $30. The hood is actually made of MDF and it along with the trim it was in the scrap bin for a couple of dollars!



What do you think? Better, worse, I've got too much time on my hands, or I have an awesome husband that goes along with my crazy ideas?



To see the posts on our kitchen before & afters, lighting,flooring and countertops click the links.

7 comments:

Kat said...

Hey I have one of those husbands too;) Looks great!

Nikki said...

I think it looks WAY better. Yay for a handy Husband!

Ben and Emily said...

Do you even have to ask if it's better? It's awesome!!

Great job and Martha would definitely approve!

m @ random musings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

OM, this is the answer to my prayers! Your hood is fabulous!! So simple, so easy, so beautiful. I'm so happy I stumbled onto your blog today. Tell your hubby, Great Work!

camille davis said...

Wanting to do this to ours just curious is the top open? Where does your air vent out...

Leslie Lim said...


This is an article well worth learning, there is much to learn from, each of us should write more articles to their own information available to everyone to know that we can learn from each other, with the progress.

John
www.imarksweb.org

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011