Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kitchen

Our kitchen was completed in June 2009 and now two years later I am getting around to posting a complete kitchen series. typical!



When we moved into our house we knew that one of the first rooms we wanted to work on would be the kitchen. It is a little galley kitchen so we knew with hard work it could be a quick project. We managed to finish in a few weeks. We did everything ourselves except for the lighting which was the best $150 we could have spent.



This picture was taken the first time we looked at the house (7/2008), almost a full year before we bought it. I am pretty sure the previous owners replaced the countertops and flooring to put it on the market so they were in good shape, but not what I wanted. Among the things to be replaced were the countertops, sink, faucet, flooring, lighting, stove hood, fridge, and backsplash.

After: Now some details... A piece of the countertop material was also used as the backsplash. The walls are concrete blocks & concrete plaster so the outlets are run with conduit which is hideous. We were able to move some of the lines inside of cabinets so that helped our kitchen from looking like a garage.

Behind the backsplash were holes in the plaster and concrete blocks so we decided to use beadboard sheets as the backsplash. Now they seem to be everywhere but I loved beadboard then and I still love it. It is so easy to care for! We used a 1x2 to finish off the beadboard. It was more authentic to the style of house than a fancy trim cap and it matched our window frames. We kept the existing dishwasher and the stove -which was brand new. My inlaws graciously bought the refrigerator as a house warming gift.



This photo was taken while I was painting the cabinets. To the left, where the stove goes there was white metal sheeting covering the most hideous of wallpapers. It was taken down and replaced with bead board to cover the wall damage from the glue as well as plaster damage under the window. The cabinets were nice wood, just really dark. They also have a ton of dents that weren't really noticeable until we started to paint-of course. The stove hood was pretty gross so it was replaced and made a cover to conceal it. In the corner is a tall cabinet that we use for a pantry. It didn't come with a cabinet door so we had one made.

I had a door frame made for $100 to match the rest of our cabinet doors. I think I over paid but I needed it in a couple of days and the guy made it fast so he charged what he wanted. To save money and give a little character I had him keep the center of the door open and I used a curtain from Pier 1 instead.



I am not a fan of microwaves on the counter taking up space so Eric was able to re route the plug into the pantry so I could hide the microwave. Added bonus it got rid of the ugly conduit. Our trash can also had to go in here since it couldn't fit under the sink. We still want to reorganize and improve the shelving in here but we just haven't gotten around to it yet.


Like with everything I do, we did this kitchen on a little budget.

Countertop (Ikea) $393.00
Backsplash $115.00
Cabinet Paint (Benjamin Moore Soft Chamois) $76.00


Wall Paint (BM Nantucket Gray HC-11) free leftover from old kitchen.


Cabinet Hardware - ebay $40.00
Lighting (Ikea + install) $220.00
Floor (Premiere Tile Heritage Pavers) $303.00 (these were purchased at cost)
Curtains $20.00
Pantry Cabinet $100.00
Faucet (ebay) $60.00
Sink Sterling Brand (scratch & dent Home Depot) $67.00
Stove Hood $55
TOTAL $1,449.00




I am planning on sticking to the kitchen theme this week and posting on our floor, lighting, stove hood. To see how we stained our Ikea butcher block countertops click here.



This project was featured on The DIY Showoff

47 comments:

Natalie said...

fabulous as always v! love the fabric over the pantry door.

Ben and Emily said...

I LOVE your kitchen! I love it even more knowing the "budget"!! Too bad you're not closer, because I'd love to pick your brain for ideas/shop etc! :)

Kat said...

It's so bright and cheery in there--love it, girl! You did an amazing job.

Rachel said...

Your 'after' pictures are amazing! Everything looks so good.

Hannah Dixon said...

Your pics are great, but it's even better in person! You and Eric never cease to amaze me!!

june@craftyniche said...

Wow, love your kitchen! I plan on getting the butcher block counters and will be doing a beadboard backsplash for my cottage style kitchen hopefully next year. Ok, how does one get a fabulous deep scratch n dent kitchen sink from home depot???

hann said...

With these recycled glass countertops, there will be no difficulty to the environment as you will not take away something from the atmosphere. And in the end, they are recycled so there will be no problems about dumping it to the surroundings so it will be a fantastic assist in keeping it clean.

Soul Pretty said...

Your kitchen is perfection...especially the brick floor...sigh. I want one...just not up for the grouting either...I grouted for the first time in my kitchen on the backsplash...and I'm very DIY too...but, never again...I'll pay someone to do that. But, like you...I was proud when it was done..

Jennifer Rizzo said...

Your kitchen looks so pretty! It's so sunny and bright!

Rachel said...

This is fantastic! My favorite part is the countertop--that is just gorgeous! This makes me so excited to buy my first home and get to work transforming it into a dream home!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

PicturePerfectPixies said...

Love this! I especially love how you hid the hood over the stove!

Off to see how you did the Ikea counter tops. I have been trying to talk my husband into those for months. I am going to keep showing him all these pictures I find. They are simply gorgeous!

Autumn said...

Ahhhhmazing! You've done a great job. We just built a house and now I'm ready to do my kitchen over. Like yours. I won't but you make a girl wanna.

Great job!

Amanda @ Heart Tree Home said...

Wow, what a great transformation. Makes me wish I had bought more of a fixer upper so I could have the satisfaction of doing my own reno :-)

AC said...

Wow you did a really great job. DOn't worry, $100 for a custom pantry door isn't too bad. Especially considering he made you an opening for a curtain and installed it for you. Not to worry!

Fig+Sage said...

Wow, what an amazing & lovely transformation!! Found you via AT :) Great job on the reno!

Flaca said...

wonderful! just the inspiration we needed for our dark and stuck in the 70's galley kitchen! great job!

Jessica Brown said...

awesome!

Brittany said...

First of all, your kitchen is gorgeous!! Your kitchen is my inspiration for my own! We are in the process of getting everything together! I couldn't help but notice that cute little fan on your countertop! I have been looking for a vintage one, but I love that one! Where did you find it?

Robin @ our semi organic life said...

wow just found your blog and love the redo! The counters look amazing and that hood looks amazing!

Jen said...

Nice job! How did you go about painting your cabinets? I have similar knotty pine getting a makeover later this year and plan on cleaning, sanding, priming, then painting. Since I only saw paint, no primer, on your list I'm hoping you have some kind of great secret to getting them done more easily!

Shauna said...

beautiful job! I am wondering how your butcher block counters are holding up around the sink, especially with an undermount sink. Do you have to be really careful to dry off standing water so they don't swell or have other water + wood problems? I would really appreciate any feedback, as this is what I want to do in my kitchen, but have been hesitating. Thanks!

vanessa said...

@Jen I guess I forgot to add primer to the list because I did have to prime them. Wish there was an easy way out of that step ;). I wrote this post with some of my cabinet painting tips.

http://kleypas.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-i-painted-my-kitchen-cabinets.html

@Shauna - Our countertops are holding up great. I did pay special attention and apply more coats of sealer around the sink lip and faucet holes. I do wipe up water when it gets on the counters so I am sure that helps. I would do that anyway and it only takes a few seconds so it isn't any big deal. Check out this post for some more info
http://kleypas.blogspot.com/2010/04/few-questions-answered.html

Kristen said...

Your kitchen is amazing! The countertop is beautiful!

Kristen@mycoveredbridge

Decorating Spaces said...

Love your kitchen! I wanted to ask you how you like your countertops?

JJB said...

Just found your blog. And, I think I'm in love with your kitchen! If I can just convince my husband to take on a big project...

Dixie Sargent Redmond said...

Collecting ideas for my kitchen - which has some similarities to yours. I love the choices you've made. You did a great job!!!!

odonohoes said...

Have I mentioned that I love your kitchen??? :) Countertop. Sink. Faucet. Floor. Beadboard. Windows. Curtians. Curtain in pantry door. White. Love!

Kirby said...

Just like everything else, I adore your kitchen. :) We are wanting to do a beadboard backsplash in our new house, and I was wondering--did you just caulk along the seam where the beadboard meets the countertop?

vanessa said...

Thank you everyone!
@Kirby - we did not caulk at the counter/backsplash. Nothing ever really falls back there so it hasn't been a problem. There is a little gap because the walls are uneven but the dark counters help to conceal it. Hope that helps.

loveLea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
loveLea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pantry cabinet said...

It's so bright and cheery in there--love it, girl! You did an amazing job.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Beautiful!! Great minds think alike right?

Lou Cinda

Brandi said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous. I love the butcher block counters. You guys did an amazing job.

f2images said...

Hello! I know this is an older blog post, but I'm REALLY hoping you can help me. A., your remodel looks gorgeous! B., We recently bought the IKEA butcherblock countertops, and after making our first cut, to size them to the length we needed, we see that the cut reveals a weird composite/filler....not the solid butcher block boards that make up the countertop! We're worried, that if we do an undermount sink, that this exposed "weirdness" will look really bad? Did you guys have that same issue? In the one picture of your sink, the edge looks totally normal. I'm wondering if we got a bad slab of countertop? Please...any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Emiko :)

Anastasia said...

Hi I know this is an old post but I was wondering how you like your faucet? I am also considering buying it and would like to know how it's holding up and if you love it?

thesquibb3 said...

I recently discovered your blog via pinterest and I am totally digging it! I love your design, fashion and DIY prowess. Also, I too am turning 30 this year :) Thanks for sharing all of your cute ideas!

Amanda

Milliscent Morgan said...

Don't ask me why I'm here in this blogsite for the reason that it caught my attention for its information regarding on kitchen remodeling apparently it seems like the blog that I read regarding on kitchen remodeling la. So nice and well written!

Jane Smith said...

Nevermind your limited budget, OMG it is just beautiful!! One thing I noticed that looks so nice is the placement of your handles on your cabinets, it looks so nice and neat and uniform. My question is because they are not in the typical usual places are they awkward to open? I would love to do this to mine but wanted to hear your comments. Maybe it was awkward at first but then you just get used to it after a week or so? Let me know. It is amazing what you have done for less than $1500 and gave it an entire transformation.

vanessa said...

Thank you Jane! I haven't really noticed the cabinets being awkard to open but I guess I'm just use to the placement. I think the unique look makes up for it.

Gilbert Dubinsky said...

The whole thing looks amazing! I will show this to the significant other later. It’s almost the same size as our own kitchen, so we might use this as a guide for our kitchen remodeling. Of course, I don’t have the last say on the matter. Here’s to hoping she likes it too!

Gilbert Dubinsky

PREM SINGH said...

The kitchen, as one of the a lot of capital locations in one's home, is a amplitude that should be able-bodied taken affliction of. As such, accepting a kitchen adjustment activity is all-important for a added agreeable acquaintance for the ancestors while advancing such abundant delights for the tummy.
Modular kitchen designs

Jolie said...

Loved reading about your counters. I had butcher block in my last house and am currently installing them in my new home, too. I wouldn't want any other kind of counter, these are my favs!

Jems Nichole said...

The information that you provided was thorough and helpful. I will have to share your article with others
Bathroom Remodeling

Nadyne Y said...

Love love the kitchen! Are the counters durable or do you have to be really careful not to cut and scratch them? Never had wood but your pics made me want them!

Alexis said...

Hi there! Just saw your kitchen on pinterest and I think it's beautiful! Nice job. Question: is your fridge considered counter-depth? It looks like it is, but not 100% sure. If so can you tell me the brand and how you like it? Thanks!

Jen said...

Which of the IKEA counters did you use? And how did you do your cuborads? Do you have a tutorial on that? I couldn't find one.

Any problems with butcher block countertops or having wood around your sink? By the way, I love the sink area!

Thanks

littleredjen@gmail.com

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011