Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Doilies, Washing Machines and Paint

DOILIES:
Last year I saw a tutorial on Under the Sycamore on a doily table runner. I started to buy doilies whenever I saw them at the thrift store. Which was twice. So I don't have very many doilies. I think I have about 15 but they are all smallish. Half of them were blue and I tried to bleach them in my washer last weekend and it didn't work at all. So they soaked in a sink bleach bath overnight and that did the trick.


Today I found these big mammas and I will be bleaching them. Hopefully I can finish this project soon, I want it to be a "snowflake" table runner and I've already got spring on my mind. If you have any doilies you want to give to the cause send them my way.



WASHING MACHINES
If you have a front loader washing machine are you successful when bleaching things in it? I bleach our white towels, shirts, and socks but never feel like they come out any whiter. And now after bleaching the blue doilies and them not changing at all I am pretty sure I am wasting my time. There isn't a bleach or soak cycle on my machine so I don't know how to change it up. It is annoying but bleaching did get my machine clean and the musty smell gone. ick

And one more thing if you have a front loader how often do you clean it? I cleaned out the seal drain holes Saturday and it was nasty but only the 2nd time I had done it during their 18 month life. I used several qtips to get in the little holes which helped a lot. I don't understand why I have to clean my machine, it is suppose to work for me. We don't shut the door unless there is a load going EVER or the moisture has no where to dry out and it starts to stank.

PAINT
I am getting ready to paint my interior doors. I started with about 10 paint cards and now have 4 left. Do you wonder why our door has that little wood panel? me too.

A favorite?

5 comments:

Rachel said...

My favorite paint color is the bottom one.

I seriously may have some doilies to send your way...if I haven't given them away already. I'll look and let you know.

I've never cleaned my front-loader..is that bad?! I did notice a commercial for these: http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-washing-machine-cleaner.jspx

Red Gate Farm said...

Oh my, I've never cleaned my front load washer and it's 6 years old?? I guess I should dig out my owner's manual...

Can't wait to see the doily runner, what a great wintry idea.

And I think it's hard to bleach something in a front loader cuz it mixes well with the water so it's pretty diluted. For us bleach challenged people (think spots on stuff) it's fantastic! I haven't ruined anything with bleach in a long time.

~Chris

Nikki said...

Bottom two, but I'm partial to shades of grey. Probably because I live in Seattle.

We have a front loader too and I haevn't thought about it, but I don't notice a difference when we bleach either. And I always leave the door open to dry it out. I'm worried about mold. I do clean out the trays because the lint seems to fly around and stick to the soap.

Can't wait to see your finished doily. I want to make one too now!

Wyogirl said...

I HAD a front load washer. Spent a ridiculous amount of money on it. Finally got rid of it after only a year and went back to a basic top load. I am much, much happier, except that I am so mad at myself that I bought into the marketing hype of spending all the $$ on a front-load to begin with.

For starters, the gunk build-up really grossed me out. Then, nothing seemed to ever get really clean in the washer -- my towels always smelled mildewy. I couldn't use it to felt or dye or bleach. Now that I am back to the basic washer I am everso much happier.

Ben and Emily said...

Have a basic ole regular washer, so I'm no help!

I do like the brown (2nd) or the last two! Can't wait to see the final product!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011