Friday, December 17, 2010

Sugar Cookies

Well I didn't take a picture of the bathroom floor again so I will share something sweet today.

I had some friends over for lunch today. Potato Soup and Taco Soup in the crockpot. All I had to do was make the cheese toast when I got home. Super easy and fun, hopefully we will do it more often. Then it was back to work. boo.

Look what Mary Kathryn brought for dessert....


Enough sugar to fill my quota until 2011.


But if you weren't lucky enough to have Gigi's cupcakes at lunch scroll on...
I made these melted snowmen cookies for my Sunday School cookie swap last night. While they didn't turn out as cute as my

inspiration

, I think you could at least tell what they were suppose to be.


They were pretty easy to make but I learned a few things that will make the next go around smoother and look better.
When you put the marshmellows in the microwave spray your plate with PAM to make it easier to get the off.
Also space the marshmellows so they don't touch. They are so much easier to work with when they aren't all stuck together!
I decorated 5 cookies at a time so that my icing wouldn't harden too much and the marshmellows were still warm enough to stick to the icing.
I used a little icing to adhere the sprinkles to the marshmellow and the sprinkles would have been a lot neater if I used tweezers.
I used the BEST icing recipe. It hardened up but not hard enough that it would chip a tooth. In an hour the icing was hard enough that the cookies could be stacked.

SUGAR COOKIE ICING
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 tsp corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract

Just mix together, adding milk when needed.


I used the vanilla extract because that is all I had so my snow was a little dark but since almond extract is clear the icing would turn out white if you used it.
I also used more milk to get the icing to the right consistency (not too runny but loose enough to be spread with a spatula). Also I think if you add more corn syrup the icing gets shinier.

*********************************************************

PS - Mr Penny is going to Glendale! $10,000 was raised for his trip! So he and his wife are getting air, game tickets, hotel, transportation, and spending money. They also gave him luggage and a digital camera to take on his trip, gift cards to local stores,an Auburn print, helmets signed by Chizik and Cam Newton, and a shirt!!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Love the cookies...they are adorable!

So proud he is getting to go! That is so great. :o)

Nikki said...

So cute! What a great idea.

Red Gate Farm said...

Those soup recipes look fantastic and I LOVE your snowman cookies. Those are too cute! I may have to give them a try this year for my nieces and nephews.

Happy holidays,
Chris

PS, Congrats to Mr. Penny!

Kat said...

I'm totally trying those soups this week. We have no oven for a week so it'll be perfect! Thanks for posting it:) And those cupcakes...oh my word.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011