Wednesday, November 3, 2010

how to hang an odd shaped plate

Over the weekend I picked up this John Derian platter from Target on major clearance. Man I wish I had a few more of his plates but never saw them in our Target.


If you have ever been to my house I am sure you have picked up that I like to hang plates on the wall. I have probably too many in my dining room but it is my thing right now.

Since it was an odd size I wasn't able to use a plate hanger. So I came up with something better by twisting a paper clip and hot gluing it to the back of the tray.

Instant hanger for about 3 cents. And since I majorly gooped up the hot glue it will peel off easily if I ever decide its destiny isn't to hang on the wall.
I hung the tray on the side of our pantry. I am liking it for now but may move it to another area in the kitchen since I don't really ever look up to that spot.


I wish I had known about hanging plates and odd shaped platters using hot glue and paper clips before I hung 13 white plates in my dining room. I used hangers for these and would prefer a cleaner look.
I may go back and change them one day. But I am afraid to touch that wall. Since our walls are concrete blocks and concrete plaster we try to avoid nail holes. Somehow they are still up there with command strips and I don't want to jinx it.


I had planned on using the disk plate hangers but first tested them out on my pewter plates and they didn't do too well. In just a few days all of the plates had fallen off the wall. I knew for sure I didn't want to risk that with my white plates.


I still kept the disk holders because I didn't have a different solution. After some crazy strong glue and of course duct tape ( I do live in Alabama ) they have been hanging strong.

3 comments:

Ben and Emily said...

Great idea! Never would have thought about paper clips though!

Marie said...

thanks for visiting my blog. :o) i LOVE that target plate! it's fantastic! how did i never see this in all my trips to target? lol great idea on how to hang an odd shaped plate too...why this never occured to me, i don't know!

D. Sharpe said...

OMG!! I have these adorable pig plates I've been trying to hang and it has been such a pain!! I've wasted so much $ on plate hangers, command strips, etc trying to hang them securely but I just hate seeing the hangers and the hooks when they are up... You totally solved my problem and in enough time for me to return all of that stuff and get my money back!!! Thanks! ��

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011