The finish was a little too orange for me and was in bad shape so something had to be done. I had originally planned on liming the bed but the more I researched it sounded like I needed a more grainy wood like oak to get the full effect. I wasn't wanting to paint the bed, I wasn't wanting to stain it and I wasn't wanting to put any money in refinishing it.
So getting inspiration from this treatment I found 1/2 a can of Jacobean stain in the shed. Since it was oil based, I needed oil paint to mix with it. Our interior trim is painted with oil paint and we had about 1 inch left in the can.
I dumped the stain and most of the paint into a bowl and added about a cup of water. Mixed it together and applied it on the backside of the headboard to test the color. It was little too stainy so I added some more paint and water. Perfect.
I applied the mixture with a paint brush and wiped it in. I did 2 coats.
After it had sort of dried I took a dry brush and dry brushed a tiny bit of white onto the bed to give it a little more dimension. As you can see it was dark by now so I was hoping I hadn't messed it up.
This cabinet holds my fabric for Paisley Jane. The stained glass window was a gift from a high school friend and it fits perfectly in here. I don't have anywhere in my house to display photos so I put them all in here, which is funny because the people in the photos are the guests that come stay with us.
One more look
Pretty good for zero monies.