Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cutting Board Conditioner

I have a thing for cutting boards, I even got one from Santa when I was a kid. You would think with my whole countertop being one giant cutting board I would steer away from more wood in the kitchen, but nope. I found this pretty little guy a few weeks ago for $1.




It was a great size and I loved the darker/lighter wood stripes. But it did need a little love.


Honestly using someone else's cutting board gave me the heebie jeebies. So first up I bleached it. After it dried I sanded it and got the board cleaned up. With the bleach and sanding I feel a lot better about using it.

I did some research and found that the best thing to use to condition cutting boards is good ole mineral oil. I picked up a bottle for $1 at Target.








Just apply the mineral oil, let soak in and reapply. I applied 4 coats. And now you are good to go!



6 comments:

Rachel said...

It's beautiful! And I'm loving that fan!

Nikki said...

OOh it is very pretty. And now you can use the mineral oil as a lubricant or laxative... ;)

kathertzler said...

Isn't it funny that something so simple can look so beautiful?

paula said...

love the board and the photo! now i need to go pick up some oil to bring all mine back to life.

Anonymous said...

33094.....60372

Alethea said...

Hey! I have a question about how you bleached the cutting board. Did you mix the bleach with water and if so how much? I think that this is a fabulous idea and I love reading your blog!!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011