Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Painted Interior Doors

Sorry I've been MIA so much lately. Today it will be the 53rd day we have a temp above 90 (usually above 95) and I am getting burned out. Maybe with cooler temps and football bringing some excitement to this town I will get inspired and motivated.

I do have subjects to blog, we have done a lot around the house this summer but have a few little things to finish up. Install kitchen lighting and scrape and paint window seals when it cools down, we are also finishing up our porch ceiling.

But I am already thinking about a new project.
I've wanted to paint our interior doors since we moved in. I think that doors can add a lot to a space so I want mine painted, to stand out a bit. But we only have 4 shared space doors that stay shut at all times, only 4 doors you would see the darker color on at all times. I'm not sure if it would even be worth it?






I think this is Nate Berkus




photos 1-4 via lavender & lilies






While I do love the black doors, I don't think my house is right for straight up black doors. I was thinking more along the lines of Sherwin Williams Urbane Bronze.

To me it has the right mix of brown, grey and black and much more conducive to my house.
Here are some pictures with a brown tone in the paint instead of solid black.


my favorite design photo ever xoxo - Barbara Westbrook



Southern Accents

Southern Accents


So what do you think? Design interest or design black hole? Waste of time since our doors don't stay shut?
For a few dollars on a sample paint and about 20 minutes of time I am thinking of painting a hall closet door. Painting doors may turn into a perfect winter project. Will report back...

11 comments:

Rachel said...

This is new to me. I've always just painted mine white, but I really do love the look of the painted doors. For me personally, I like the look of the color you picked out much better than the stark black. It's more warmer (if that makes sense) and I think it will be beautiful in your home. :o)

Nikki said...

I like it. I was just trying to figure out what color to paint the inside of my front door. Trim color or wall color, or new color? Decisions decisions. Let us know which way you go!

Pine Tree Home said...

I vote for the brown tones too. It will keep things warmer and be a great accent. Oh and hide the dirt.

The Cosby's said...

I went to see Seth's girlfriend's new place this weekend and the first thing I noticed were her painted doors throughout. They are a brownish-gray color. I liked it a lot. It is new construction so maybe that is the new thing to do.

Ben and Emily said...

Love the look of a darker door! I say do it...it's just paint, right?

Red Gate Farm said...

I say give it a try... that Sherwin Williams color is similar to my floor color (also a Sherwin Williams color) called Superior Bronze.

Chris

paula said...

painting our doors was one of the biggest changes in our house although we didn't go as dark.

Carolyn said...

Maybe not black- but a sort of dark brown-gray-black, that looks much more interesting, and definitely with a bit of reflectance. I have never in my LIFE considered deep dark interior doors but I may be an instant convert now!

Karen said...

Thanks for all the great ideas. I love the black and brown tones and the color you are thinking about is great.Thanks for sharing. I would love to see the finished product.

Davidjohn said...

Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going.... I really enjoyed exploring your site. good resource...
http://www.pinellaswindowsanddoors.com/

Donna said...

I like the black and the Urbane bronze. I think the dark colors look so dramatic. Love the dark walls too especially the charcoal and navy. I'm seeing slot of dark doors on blogs and Instagram. I painted the inside of my front door Mopboard Black and I'm going to use it in my French doors too. It's so rich looking.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011