Wednesday, July 14, 2010

New Amy Butler

In the summer in Alabama it is hot and somewhat dry unless there is a hurricane that comes through. But we've been doing ok in the rain department, 2 times this week at my house as a result we haven't had to run the irrigation as much and our water bill was $30 less this month!

Yesterday it was pouring rain when I left my house to go back to work after lunch and when I got to work it was dry and sunny. They are only about 5 miles apart so it felt like I had gone on a long trip with the weather changes.

Enough of the weather report Amy Butler has some new patterns out and they are super cute. I am in a bit of a sewing funk right now but I am considering making a comeback to make one of theses adorable rain jackets...


So if you sew with laminated fabric make sure you don't pin outside of the seam allowance because the holes won't come out of the fabric. You could use binder clips or paper clips instead of pins.
I don't have a foot that will allow laminated fabrics to flow through my sewing machine, but I usually keep a piece of ribbon along the foot between it and the fabric to keep the fabric going and it works fine. But with a big project like this I would probably invest in a roller foot.
We are going to Ashville, North Carolina this summer and I've already staked out a fabric store that sells Amy Butler fabric and I've been saving my pennies to buy some new fabric!

I am sort of in a blog funk. I don't really have much to say. Any ideas? Ask or tell me anything!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She also has two new thread collections from Rowan. Love and Soul Blossoms featuring colors that match her fabric lines. For more information go here: http://www.westminsterfabrics.com/pub/rowanthreads.jsp

Rachel said...

Oh...I love the rain jackets. Too cute!

Nikki said...

Ooh I love Amy Butler fabrics! What else did you make with the vinyl fabric??

myboysandme said...

You are always so great at finding deals on stuff, so share your latest grocery deal finds... or regular store sale finds!!! Or you should do more of your craft ideas! I think everything you put up is most useful :-) I LOVE your blog!!!

Red Gate Farm said...

I love these patterns! I'm a big Amy Butler fan, both her patterns and fabrics. I'll have to look for these patterns now.

I've used laminated fabric to make bags and didn't like sewing on it much. Thanks for the tips on how what to do. I'm going to try one (or both) of these next time.

FlyAwayHome said...

I have a teflon foot that helps me sew vinyl fabrics but years before there were such thing, I used to lay tissue paper between the foot or foot plate and fabric. It works great and tears off easily when your done sewing. Love you site!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011