Friday, July 23, 2010

Freezer Strawberry Jam

Saturday I was able to check another thing off our summer list, I made Strawberry Jam. Kroger had strawberries for $1.50 a pound so I didn't feel like I was wasting a lot of money if it turned into a total flop.




Well it couldn't have been any easier. I used the
recipe inside the Shur-Jell box. Since it was freezer jam it was super easy, no boiling or canning so I guess I cheated a bit. There was a ton of sugar, {4 cups!} but inside the ball jar box it had a recipe for double fruit and only 1 1/2 cup sugar which I will probably try next time.



I froze 4 jars (freezer safe for 1 year) and we are eating the other jar and it is delicious!! I've been sneaking a few bites without any bread and it is so good.


The shelf life for the refrigerator jam is only 3 weeks, but I don't think that will be a problem considering Eric eats a PB&J for lunch everyday!



Strawberry Jam Recipe Here

Next time I want to use some cute glass jars, I used the plastic freezer safe this time.
There are tons of cute labels out there on the interwebs to use I'll print those out next time too.







(their photo)







Eat, Drink, Chic Jam Labels
(their photo)



Tons more labels on this site. This calendar one is a great idea for keeping track of freshness!

{their photo}

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Soooooo glad you posted this! I've been wanting to make some jam, but I was a little overwhelmed. I've already purchased my mason jars, but that's as far as I've gotten. I'll have to try it this weekend. :o)

Nikki said...

Very cute. I love freezer jam. Especially raspberry! YUM!

Ben and Emily said...

Yum! Never had "freezer jam", but looks like I may have to try it! Dumb question: but would it work with grapes instead of strawberries?

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011