Sunday, July 25, 2010

Asheville, NC

Last week Eric and I crossed another thing off our summer list: E & V vacation!

We took a little trip to Asheville North Carolina. It is only a 5 hour drive so it was the perfect place for a quick vacation.

While we were there Asheville's downtown was having a music festival,
Bele Chere. It made getting around downtown pretty much impossible so that was pretty annoying. We had planned on spending more time downtown, but Thursday night was the only time we spent there.



There were 2 places I wanted to eat while we were in Asheville, Tupelo Honey Cafe & Carmel's. THC was closed on Thursday but we did manage to make it to Carmel's for dinner on Thursday night. It was really yummy!



Besides going to the Biltmore Estate, Eric also wanted to go to Chimney Rock. The waterfall on one of the trails was in the remake of The Last of the Mohicans. It was only a 3/4 mile trail so I didn't think it would be any big deal. But it was on a mountain and I thought I would die!

It is usually in the low 80's but they had a record high of 92 the day we were there. We were use to 100+ temps last week at home (while I sat inside an air conditioned office all day and E slaved outside in the sun at work) but it was still hot while hiking with no water.


We finally made it to the waterfall and I wasn't that impressed. I thought it would be really big where you could walk under it, but it was pretty anyway and I am glad we went.



Eric was pretty happy!





I was pretty exhausted and hot!

And I was miserable wearing shorts, this is the only pair of non exercise shorts I own (bought just for this trip). The only shorts I wear are while I am exercising, otherwise I am much more comfortable in a dress.



See the snake swimming around? It was the only wildlife we saw that day!! Not even a squirrel. I guess it is use to people because it just swam all around the people cooling off in the creek, and the people didn't act scared of it!!




After we hiked back from the waterfall we went to the top of Chimney Rock. There was no way I was going to climb the trail so we took the elevator.


It was a great view and something we don't see where we live.

There was a lot more to do in the Chimney Rock community and Lake Lure. There is a small beach and parking spots all along the road so you can get in the river. White water rafting isn't that far away. But we didn't really plan that well so we didn't do anything else in that area. Hopefully we will be able to go back again and do a few more things.

What? You aren't bored yet looking at my vacation pictures? Well don't worry I will be back with hundreds more!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Fun! I would've swam with a snake in that weather too ;)

I need pizza immediately.

Rachel said...

Beautiful pictures! Glad you guys had a great time. I've always wanted to go to Ashville and Charlotte. :o)

Hannah Dixon said...

Glad y'all had a good time! You know Lake Lure is were the famous water scene in Dirty Dancing was filmed!!

bethanypaige2 said...

ooh, i hate you missed tupelo honey -- its good! and add the early girl cafe to your list for next time. AND there is a chocolatier shop there called... something. that i will remember later and let you know. their truffles are hands down lifechanging. like the movie "chocolate" w johnny depp. amazing. love the pics! one more thing - i hike in skirts all the time. and bike. they make cool comfy exercisy ones that you should check out. i too am not a fan of shorts generally.

paula said...

bored of vaca pics, no...jealous, yes!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011