Monday, May 17, 2010

Two of God's Greatest Creations

Peanut Butter & Chocolate



Last weekend I had to take dessert to dinner at a friend's house. So I chose chocolate cupcakes. I couldn't decide between Peanut Butter frosting or Ganache so what is a girl to do, make both!


The Barefoot Contessa's Peanut Butter Frosting and it was DIVINE. It was so creamy and smooth. I was trying to think of all of the things I could put the frosting on. But in the end after all of the cupcakes were iced I just ate the frosting by itself. It tasted just like peanut butter but it wasn't as thick so I didn't get choked while shoving it down my throat.


I love Ganache, it is my favorite form of chocolate. I've always wanted to frost a cake with ganache, but I've always been intimidated. But people ganache is so easy to make. I used this super simple Ganache recipe. And just like them I dunked the cupcakes then let the ganache cool and piped it on top of the cupcake. It was super rich which is the way I like it.


I knew I would be using some pretty rich icing, so I used Pioneer Woman's chocolate sheet cake for the cupcakes. It made about 25 1/2 cupcakes. (That is why the one pictured is so squatty it is the 1/2 of the 25!) I've made the cake in cake form and loved it and it was just as good in cupcake form.


So the moral of the story is no more store bought icing. I use to be intimidated but now that I know how easy DIY icing is, I'll never go back.
I've used the Buttercream recipe on the back of the confectioners sugar box and it is delicious and so easy. Put some in a piping bag and the cupcakes look great. Much easier than using the tub and having to spread the icing and the are beautiful
For something different, peanut butter and ganache icing recipes are so easy and pretty you can't resist.


Make some tonight and report back tomorrow.

8 comments:

MeghalinaBee said...

yum!! looks delish!

Nikki said...

Yum! I'll take two of each please.

I always pick ganache over frosting too. Although that peanut butter one looks amazing!

alanna rose said...

I love almost everything that Ina does - and that icing is wonderful!

Now I want cupcakes - yum!

Natalie said...

oh i love sweets

Ben and Emily said...

I now have a craving for cupcakes! Cannot wait to try the PB icing!!

Rachel said...

Yum! Those look divine!

jo said...

it looks delicious. i'm sure it is. too bad i'm not a baker. at leat i don't think i am. I never do it to know!!!


-jo :)

Julie said...

Hey - I started following your blog after Layla posted a link to your countertop tutorial. Just wanted to say thanks for this post. I made these yesterday for my mother-in-law's birthday, and they were a huge hit. I used the peanut butter frosting, and everyone loved it. Not to mention that now I'm totally hooked on the Pioneer Woman's blog :-)

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011