Friday, April 30, 2010

Next Up

Well tomorrow starts the month of May. While our May goals list is a lot smaller than last May's list (ugh looking at that makes me want to barf) the side yard has gotten its official ticket to get a makeover.

We Eric isn't really sure what the plan is back there but I have bought this



garden stool, but mine came from Big Lots for only $20!

We have 2 Adirondack chairs and a fire pit and some leftover flagstone from the front walk. And that is it! One of the chairs is stained the other is painted so those will have to have some work.

We are wanting lots of hydrangeas, some perennials but also something that will keep its leaves all winter because nothing is more depressing that a winter yard. But I'm not in charge of plants so I will just sit back and watch.

Eric tilled up and graded the yard so now the next step is to stain or seal our fence. Our backyard is fenced in and we added this little section when we moved in to give us a little more room and some privacy. We still have the old fence gates so we can keep Claire out of the side yard if needed. Hopefully we can improve the gates, the past owners gimped them up.




I promise he leveled off the yard, I need to use my tripod next picture

I am sort of wanting to stain our fence but I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle. I like the contrast of the dark wood with the grey/green tones of the house, which is similar to our house color.

This may be too dark.

I think this picture is from Young House Love

Maybe more along these lines....

thanks Rachel


I have read that it needs to be at least a year old before you stain/seal and it has been a year.


Have any of you stained a fence before? Does it fade and require upkeep?


6 comments:

Rachel said...

We installed our fence last summer. Our original plans were to stain it something along the lines of this: http://sealwizekc.com/resources/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/sealwize-walnut-medium-brown-fence-staining-project.jpg
I've been a chicken to do it though because I'm afraid it will be too much contrast against our limestone house. :|

Pine Tree Home said...

We have a lot, lot of fence and we too tried our hand at staining it. After a few sections decided it wasn't worth the hassle. It's weathered now, but I like the contrast to our white house.

Nikki said...

Wow, big projects! We graded our lawn a few weeks ago and now we're waiting for the grass to fill in. Can't wait to see the finished results! If you never do anything to the fence it will grey I think.

Karli @ RockyBella said...

I haven't been to Big Lots in years and years, since I was a little girl with my mom. After reading your post I headed to Big Lots and picked up one of those stools in white! They only had brick red, navy blue, and white. I broke one in the process of trying to pull mine off the shelf. Whoops. I also found some other great deals! Thanks for the post! I love big lots now.

Amanda said...

If you plan to stain get a sprayer. Sooo much easier! I did our wrap around deck a few years ago with a dark stain and love it still. Good luck!

Jenn said...

Do you mind me asking what color your house is? I love the grey/green color!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011