Friday, September 25, 2009

Mule Day Saturday

Well I'm out this weekend off to Mule Day. Yes I did say Mule Day. Every year on the 4th Saturday in September my hometown has Mule Day. It was started as a parade to honor the hard working mules in the tiny town. What started as a parade now turns the town with a population of 4,500 residents into an all weekend event drawing in over 25,000 people!


It all starts off Friday night with the Flea Market and the stores downtown are open extra late. Saturday there is a 5k and fun run, mule judging, antique car show, the mule parade, arts & crafts and the best food you could imagine.
One of my favorite things about the day is the food. There are all kinds of fair food some of my favorites are fresh-squeezed lemonade, funnel cakes, red beans & rice, and chicken-on-a-stick. I've been saving my calories, not really but I can justify them by walking all day Saturday.

With all of that going on, the most exciting even of the day has to be the Parade. The Winfield High School Pirate Band leads off followed by tons of mules, horses, wagons, tractors, politicians, and marching foot soldiers in Civil War dress. No I'm not exaggerating on the tons. After the parade is over, what does the city do about all of the poop, well the new residents in town get to scoop it. Welcome to Winfield.

I'll be back Monday with all of the action.
If you have the August 2008 issue or it may be the September 2008 issue of Southern Living there is an article about Mule Day and Winfield in it!

2 comments:

Jo said...

im ready to see all the action :) this reminds me of Brownwood Reunion!

paula said...

my parents went to this and kept texting the kids pictures. we hope to go next year.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011