Monday, February 27, 2012

Parmesan Chicken & Rice

Over the weekend I cooked this dish, originally posted in 2009 before we renovated the kitchen (hence the old counters). I can't remember the last time I cooked it, but now I remember why it is one of my favs. I was also reminded the rice is always better cooked in broth instead of water.


What you need:




1 tbs Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped onion (we didn't have one so I left this out) 1 garlic clove (I always double the garlic, gotta keep those vampires away)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 package of mushrooms chopped
1 package of chicken breasts chopped
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese




Serves 4




Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, garlic, thyme & mushrooms. Saute 5 minutes or until onion is tender.



Add chicken; saute 4 minutes or until chicken is brown.




Add wine, salt & pepper: cook until liquid almost evaporates.

Stir in rice & broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat & simmer until liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese before serving.

Of course since E is allergic to the enzyme in milk, I don't mix the cheese in the dish, just put in on top of mine. We ate ours with steamed broccoli & cauliflowers and a spinach salad. I think it would taste good if you added broccoli to the dish, but E disagrees, so I kept them separate.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Yum! I'd add broccoli too...gotta get your greens in ;)

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011